What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green Moss question

So I made the mistake of buying and useing this Hawathian Green Moss as a top layer for my CPs instead of LFS. Is this okay to use as a top layer? Does it benefit the plants in any way besides looking nice? Am going to buy LFS tommarow.. but am wondering if I can leave the large amount of green moss topping on my bogs as well

Hi,
I tried to think about my answer, but I guess I need to know more....
Why do you want to use this moss that you know isn't the type to use?
It could mold or transfer dies and chemicals to your plants, depending on
what it is.
It won't be a good planting medium, like LFS is, and if it isn't dyed, is it green (alive)
or is it dead? It could just rot! That might not be good.... whatcha' think?
If you are getting LFS, what are you gonna do with this stuff?
It has no real use for growing CP's.
Use it with a houseplant if you must, but anytime I have seen it used
(unless when planted LIVE in a rather difficult to do set-up) it is dead, dried, perhaps dyed,
collects dust and looks like crap!

Think about what I am saying. If you can see the logic behind it, you will know what to do.
(I hope you will!)

Yeah that's exactly what it looks like. I decided to just remove it all together.. and I just totally replanted my two minibogs which took an hour.. no wonder a bunch of my plants died last year.. beginners failure.. those employees at the local nursery lied to me.I think I will pick up some REAL LFS tomarrow. Thanks for the help guys.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

I wonder what main varieties of CP's do best with LFS around there roots instead of just peat/perlite.

if your using a bog, i'd just skip the LFS and just do a straight peat, perlite, and sand mix. use LFS as topping, not necessarily as a growing medium. most people use LFS in their bog for aesthetic reasons.

Back