What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For iPhone Techies

glider14

Always a newbie
so i jailbroke my iphone 3G the other day for only one reason. to enable tethering. we have no internet at my house (because att is a :censor: ) and when i heard about tethering i went to work on researching jailbreak. i finally did. i know the cons about doing it (void warranty, bricking ect) but i dont intend to go hardcore with it unless i find something awesome. anyways. does anyone know if tethering costs money if you get it via a third party app? it doesnt technically enable the tethering option, it just turns my phone into a "3G modem". ive heard things from both sides of the story but i would like a more definite answer. i have the unlimited plan... but how would i get charged? is there a cap they dont tell you about?

as a a side note... my ultimate goal is to play xbox live. need....MW2...

thanks! any and all help would be appreciated!

Alex

Well i cant exactly help with the jailbreak thing since i havent done that with my iPhone....since im about to upgrade it anyway, i have the original rofl DX

On a side note, Modern Warfare 2 is amazing, i play it all the time with friends from work and friends from school that i dont see anymore (not in school anymore)

If you have Xbox Live, send me your gamer tag and ill add you...

Well it depends on several things. What is your technology background? If you have a use you can directly access the bsd backend utilizing the mobile-terminal app from cydia. If you want more access to the files within the phone itself you can try loading ssh onto the phone and accessing your phone's file system that way. This is particularly handy if you want to store data on the phone without it showing up in the phones interface.

There is also the area of winterboard where you can customize the background and the icons and customize the interface to your liking. These are just a handful of things which you can do with a free phone (ie: jailbroken) good luck and have fun.

There really is no such thing as an 'unlimited plan'. What they dont tell you is that there is a limit (around 5Gb per month I think) but since nothing runs more then a couple Kb per app it's near impossible to hit that limit unless you're online downloading stuff 24/7...literally.
As for tethering, I have no idea man. Main reason I refuse anything Apple is because they don't give you the freedom to customize anything, you have to jailbreak their junk. Easy to do with all of there stuff but Apple IMO is worthless.
Send me your gamertag sometime and we can catch a couple games. I got burnt out on MW2 but I'm hooked on Bad Company 2 right now. Better than MW2 IMO.

sent you both PMs. i guess ill have to find another way then.

calypso: yea today i downloaded the helix battery charging app and the MW2 theme. its BA!! haha and no im not that technically inclined.

thanks everyone. still open for advice!
Alex

Back