What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warhammer

• Thread starter Chomp
  • Start date

Chomp

Oops
Ive considered this game. Does anyone here play Warhammer?

warhammer online? ive seen it when my friend tried to get me into world of warcraft and i refused he showed me warhammer, played it while at his house. seems better than world of warcraft but just from a noobie perspective its practically the same thing.

warhammer look just like world of warcraft... i play diablo 2: lord of destruction. the greatest game of all time! :banana2:

Warhammer the video game or the tabletop battles with miniature models? The miniatures are awesome! I spent years painting and customizing my model armies - all Chaos Space Marines and undead.

The epic backstory of Warhammer is excellent too - which is continually being evolved and furthered in many great novels (and some crappy ones). The novels are as far as I get into Warhammer these days but I read every new Warhammer novel that comes out (usually 3 or 4 Warhammer novels are released per month). I like both Warhammer the medieval version and Warhammer 40,000 the sci-fi version but I like the sci-fi Warhammer 40K best since the authors can really go crazy with their imaginations.
"In the grim darkness of the future there is only eternal war!"

Introduction to Warhammer & the Black Library (Warhammer novels)

http://www.blacklibrary.com

Warhammer was around for decades before WOWarcraft.

I am painting a squad of Raven Guard marines for my buddy, they are looking almost good enough to take a picture of..
I have a few Gwar minis which I painted in this album, they are both pretty small but the pics turned out nice

Cool. I'm interested in the minies. (I like to play Axis and Allies) Is there a starter-set?

Yes, there are many starter sets. Depends on the race you want to be. A word of warning though, it can get expensive depending on what goes on, but it can be a load of fun. There is two warhammers out there, Warhammer, which is the mythical stuff, and Warhammer 40k, which is the futuristic stuff. I prefer Warhammer 40k, but that just me. My advice is to go to a local game workshop and ask if you can play a demo game. They usually have one set up. Also, look at the official site http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp to give you some ideas. I find it very enjoyable, but I am also an ubber geek ;). They basic army starter is $90 dollars, not including the rules for that army or the rule book.
Hope this helps,
Williamg

The Space Hulk box set of Terminator Space Marines and Genestealers & Tyranids was my first set of minis back in 1989 or so. I discovered Warhammer 40K by listening to Bolt Thrower's "Realm of Chaos" LP and then stumbled upon the Warhammer rules book at the magazine shop that had the same artwork on the cover of the Bolt Thrower album. I had to buy the book and then it was all over I was a Warhammer weirdo! BTW If you like groove laden Death Metal I don't think there's a better DM album out there than Realm of Chaos but then I'm biased been listening to it for 20 years or so!

The prices of minis are freakin' crazy these days! I dunno how kids would afford them anymore. When I was a kid they were $8 for standard 2 pewter minis blister packs and $20-40 for the plastic mini box sets. Now minis are $20 per blister around here and one bigger figure/multi fig box is $60-$100 and up to $500+ if you buy the rarer Forgeworld stuff. :0o:

I really miss being able to see them good enough to paint them!

Mabudon is that the "Cuttlefish of Cthulhu"? LOL

ill check out the diablo 2 lords of destruciton when i get a new comp, how bout Duke Nuke em doesnt any one here like that lets go old school :p

Forgot to mention I picked up these two WH40K short story anthologies today:

51LGNoiL-cL._SS500_.jpg

3716011219_2d168b84a2.jpg

Should be some tasty reading! :D

I used to be big into 40k when I lived in New Jersey; I liked Necrons and Space Marines.
This thread inspired me to go dig some of them up ad take a look at my 14 year old painting skills. I don't think I did too bad, but I'd really like to touch them up one of these days.

Maybe I'll take a few pictures.

I play the computer games and I read the official novels. The games don't even scratch the surface of the universe though. If you got into Warhammer 40k and Warhammer, the whole warcraft and Starcraft universes look like a complete ripoff considering when both of those series came out.

For those who don't know Warhammer is essentially a story of war between some very unique races. Warhammer 40k is in the year 40xxx and basically a bunch of races again fight galactically for control of the universe. It might be a bit nerdy to some, but I just picked up the game one day and I think it rivals Star Wars in terms of depth and story telling.

There is a table top mini-war game played like chess that concists of game pieces and landscape. The video games are a real time strategy type game which is very popular among non fans of the series.

diablo is actually pretty old school. (in gaming terms i suppose) its ten years old. i never really played duke nukem, but DOOM is pretty damn epic still... i wish they would make doom for the nintendo ds. i found a diablo clone for the ds called dungeon explorer. i played it for nearly 70 hours in the first week. it was that cool. but now it just sits there since i beat it... :-(

diablo is actually pretty old school. (in gaming terms i suppose) its ten years old. i never really played duke nukem, but DOOM is pretty damn epic still... i wish they would make doom for the nintendo ds. i found a diablo clone for the ds called dungeon explorer. i played it for nearly 70 hours in the first week. it was that cool. but now it just sits there since i beat it... :-(

they just released Duke Nuke em forever last month!!!!! AWESOMEZ!!!!!!:-O well i looked into the Diablo 2 gameplay on youtube and i'm not too much of a fan so far :p maybe hands on can persuade me

duke nuke em is good, doom 1 and 2, gta (the original sky cam one), and there was this old sega game i used to play alot, where you were a human but if u got a power up or something you turned into some wolf type creature (i got the cartridge at a yard sale with the front peeled off, never known the name). and as far as diablo...yes diablo 2 lord of destruction is mad. i cant wait for 3 and starcraft is also a good game some of you should look into if you havent played it yet.

Back