What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass Cutting revisited!

Ok, I'm either adventurous or just dumb enough to keep trying. I bought three panes of 12" x 16" (1/8" thick) glass tonight and I want to cut it down to six panes of 8" x 12" and then cut the top and bottom pieces to fit. They will be assembled into an 8" L x 8" D x 12" H vivarium with a single sliding pane front. I want to build 5 more if this first one works out. Home made is a few dollars cheaper than making a 2.5 gallon aquarium into a drop down front. A 2.5 gallon is the same price as a 10 gallon - that should be illegal! LOL

I have one of those key looking cutters with the ball on the end, a bottle of fluid and a T square. I'm not sure how much oil I should put on the blade, do I dip the whole blade in the oil? How hard do I press with the cutter? I've read that if you hear cracking you're pushing too hard. What do you do with the little ball? Teh card on teh cutter says to use the edge of teh table to snap the pane along the score. Do I slowly bend the glass on the score over the table edge or try to do it quickly by hitting it hard?

Does anyone have any tips, hints, fave video links, voodoo prayers, etc. that they can post before I destroy these nice panes of glass on Saturday?

Last edited:
Google "glass cutting techniques"

The ball is for striking the glass. Some times you have to give a slight rap or knock to get a piece to snap off (or out).

Ron (RL7836) PM'd and gave me the secret to this dark art which has eluded me for so long, it was my hand placement and how I was trying to snap the score. I now have cut all my panes in a few minutes and am just working on cutting out a ventilaltion strip on the lid pane (tape together dry fit looks good) and I'm ready to start siliconing on Saturday so I'll get some more glass when I'm out too. There will be no stopping me now! BWHAHAHA! :D

Thanks again Ron!

A 2.5 gallon is the same price as a 10 gallon - that should be illegal! LOL
I guess that this is a supply and demand thing. 10 gallon tanks would be more popular that 2.5 gallon. Also, a lot of the cost will be in the labour, which will be pretty similar for both sizes.

Good luck with your project. I've never done much glass cutting but have done plenty of ceramic tile cutting and I remember that being 'challenging' when I first started.

When I was raising Killifish you could buy a 2.5 gallon tank for just $5.99... It must have been too many years ago! LOL

Back