What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crane Flies!

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
On the windowsill, I currently have an infestation of crane flies around the Nepenthes. The adults are not the problem: they are harmless, don't bite, and drink nectar. What I'm worried about is the young crane flies, which are like fungus gnat larvae. They stay underground and eat plant roots, from what I've heard. No good can come from that. :crap:

How can I get rid of the little nuisances? :poke:

The adults land on anything, including ME! :crazy:

Well, KILL THE ADULTS is the first thing you should do. If there are no adults around, then no more eggs will be laid. If you place 4 inch potted capensis plants all around they can help a great deal. The crane flies get caught easily. If I were you I would patrol the area each day and kill every one I saw.

Then, when the young larvae crane flies become adults, you can then kill them and stop them from reproducing. That will break the cycle and stop the infestation. You could also try a systematic insecticide because it protects the roots too...you might get rid of some larvae that way. Other than that I have no more ideas. Basically the only way I have been able to get rid of fungas gnats (for a short time) is to kill the adults...either manually or with sundews.

Hope that gets you started!

crane fly larvae are rather large and disgusting. pray you dont have them in any of your pots........

Killing the adults is nice revenge and edification for the pitchers!
Gotta do something with the bodies!
At least that's what momma always said, "Hide the bodies!"

Mr. Binata is going back into the windowsill. *evil laugh*

:)

Killing the adults is nice revenge and edification for the pitchers!
Gotta do something with the bodies!
At least that's what momma always said, "Hide the bodies!"

gardening800.jpg

I want a hat like that! :-))

Back