What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death cube transplant

Hi all,
im relatively new to this forum and growing CP.
i recently got a VFT from lowes and i was wondering how i could take it out of its "death cube" and plant it in a pot safely. The plant seems to be in good shape already having 2 new traps grow from the time i have gotten it. It sits in a windowsill where it gets alot of sun and partial shade throughout the day.

Just stick it in a pot with a mix of equal parts sphagnum peat and sand. To keep it in the house you'll want to keep a dome over it to keep humidity up, although you might be able to just set the pot in a tray of water.

A flytrap can't survive indoors indefinitely. They need to go through winter dormancy to last more than a few years. I think some people have achieved this indoors by keeping the pot really close to the window where it is colder. I've heard others put them in the refrigerator for a few months.

For the soil mix you can also use things like long fiber sphagnum, live sphagnum, chopped sphagnum, see a trend yet? Things like perlite and vermiculite can also be used, just avoid ones with fertilizer in them. The idea is a loose, nutrient poor soil that will stay moist.

Back