What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bare root or potted?

Which would be better shipping method for a ventricosa x spectabilis. vendor X will send potted but costs about 12 dollars more (including shipping) than vendor Y who will send bare root.

The concerns i have is not only price but also im leaning towards bare root a bit more simply because i figure the less there is the less chance of infestation of any sort? i will be quarentining the plant regardless but would be of saner mind knowing its just a precaution and the quarentine isnt because i see things crawling off the plant.

Bare-root is the best and generally safest route in shipping larger Nepenthes. There is simply a far lesser chance of damage than dealing with a pot full of compost -- though it can be done.

I've never experienced a problem with bare-root plants -- and prefer them . . .

Bareroot. We all gotta learn to pot them bad boys up someday. Also no two nep growers agree on the same media, so you get the advantage of being able to choose your own too.

In TOTAL agreement with both of you!
Go BARE! :-D

alright will defenetely go bare rooted! thanks alot guys! and growinold, are you still talking about the nep? lol.

It's complicated. I've received bare root plants that were exactly that - a plant with bare roots in a box, with a little wadded up paper to keep the corpse from rattling around too much. On the other hand, I've received potted plants where the shipper made no effort to immobilize the pot, which shifted and snapped off the plant. And whoever mentioned it is correct; a potted plant can carry hitchhikers. All in all, I prefer a well-packed bare root plant, but will make an exception depending on the growth stage of the plant.

For all of those reasons, that is why I go bare.

If small then potted is better IF packed the right way. There is no need to disturb a small plant by transplanting unless you really need to or if the plant fresh from TC and has not developed roots in the media anyway. I would also ask about what soil mix he uses. If it's a big plant then bare is the only safe way.

Oh,
After reading everyone's reply,
I have a better answer than my previous one! (Although "Bare" is indeed my choice!)

My revised answer would be:
Whichever method the supplier can do and pack correctly!
That does seem to be the real issue now-a-days, and it is because some vendors hire inept people (or their methods to do things correctly are lacking) that we have this question arising in the first place.

Someone recently sent me some really large and excellent plants, and their packing was one of the best I have ever had! It wasn't all that hard, but the person showed real common sense, again something that appears to be lacking in today's day.

Oh, Love those "reasons...for goin' bare!" :grin:

Take care all! :water:

went with the bare root vendor, im sure they will package correctly and i wont have any issues. thanks alot for your suggestions/insight on your experiences and preferences.

-Javier

Back