What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Finally Got That Rain I've Been Wanting!

lizasaur

Charlatan
In the form of a severe thunderstorm with winds which blew over my portable greenhouse.

My tray of sundews, tray of highland Nepenthes, individual lowlanders, and my tray of Sarracenia seedlings all got tossed.

I knew it was going to rain, so the seedlings and Neps were in there for protection.

But I was not ready for the carnage that awaited me this morning. I didn't even collect that much rain!

So after spending an hour kneeling in wet muddy perlite, and sifting through what can only be described as I swamp, I found most of the seedlings and sundews. My cluster of Alicae is MIA, and I'm sure every last seedling wasn't recovered.

While I hopefully identified the sundews correctly, I also hope they'll make it. Some of them are new, and the stress might have been too much.

My three seedling varieties are also now mixed up.

>.<

I really must've done something to piss off the big man upstairs. Cause I seriously can't win. Between the drought, black bugs of doom, and now this.

NEVER use those portable greenhouses, mine blew over 3 times last year. Unless its anchored. We got hail the other night, some of our plants got damage

This is the same problem that happens here a lot. Drought, super bad rain, and white AND red bugs of horror. Some of my sundews got stunned with the rain, so be careful.

I think you got the remnants of the first hurricane of the season. More to follow!

Yeah, mine was actually leaning but Dad said it wouldn't actually fall over, and that it did need a brace across the back to keep it straight. I assume it's leaning disposition didn't help. But now I know!

The good news is some of my dews are already back to producing dew =)

We don't get storms like that in S. Oregon. Sounds strange but I kinda miss observing the tumultuous weather when I lived in DFW (TX). But if I was still there, I would surely have 20ish cinder blocks to keep anything that could be blown away anchored, seriously. Like on the news, "Ma, was that the roof that just flew off?'

I feel your pain. Last year we had a bad midsummer hail storm that took out my entire outside collection of sarrs and vfts. By late summer they were recovering, but didn't have much chance before snow started falling. I think this is part of the reason they have been so very slow to come out of dormancy this year.

So yeah they finally start putting out new growth and guess what? I'm at work and my wife just got home. She called me a few minutes ago and said a bad hailstorm came through and obliterated them all (again). The forecast called for a few widely scattered tstorms, a common occurance in the summer. No mention of heavy hail. Between the hail storms, hungry deer, curious neighbor kids and near constant strong summer winds which dry them out and mangle them, it is no wonder more and more of my sarrs and vfts are being grown inside under lights!

I<3carnivores: yea the freaking weather has been insane, seems like we're in for a crappy summer this year =[.

Back