What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naga jolokia seed

I got some seed the other day, but imho it's too late in the season to plant them. Will they still be viable next year?

They came from a reliable source in SE Asia and supposedly are pretty fresh.

If so, just store them in a cool, dry place?

Thanks in advance,
Av

I had some habenero that stored for several years at room temp in a sealed, dry plastic bag, that germinated no problem. They're supposed to be kept refrigerated and dry, so I doubt it would be a problem if you do that.

Though what's wrong with trying with a few seeds? Couldn't hurt, might get a long enough season for it to work.

I bought two live plants of these labeled as "Bahut Jolokia" for my boss cos he grows peppers in competition with his pals to see who can grow the hottest ones. He had a few pots of seed planted but the cat flipped them over.

If you want plants for this season check out Mills Fleet Farm's garden center. They had a flat of them in 6" pots at the Mills in my area. If you need them I'd be glad to pick them up for you if they still have some. If you go to a Mills look in the "novelty plants" area or just ask a garden center worker because these are not sold with the regular peppers. The woman in the garden center said her boss told her specifically not to put them in with the regular peppers - which is where I was looking for them.

You should be able to extend the growing season for your seed plants on into winter indoors if you set them up in big pots with nice light rig over 'em. Since they're tropical would they grow as a perennial if you kept them indoors?

Last edited:
Swords,

If they have a couple left that would be very cool.... I can paypal ya the funding. :)

This vid is a hoot!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELN1BxqpjFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELN1BxqpjFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks mate,
Av

I'll take a trip over there this weekend and let you know if they still have them.

The tag that's on the pots says not to touch the peppers with bare fingers like that woman did, the tag was pretty funny to read with "fun facts" on both sides. Also the tag says you have to pollinate the flowers with a paintbrush so I'm guessing we don't have the correct pollinators here. Or maybe that's just to ensure pollination?

The Asian ladies at work grow some very hot pepper varieties and bring them in and trade them with each other. They're very tiny peppers, only like 1" and 2" and very skinny but crazy hot where you can only nibble at them and even then your nose is running and eyes are watering.

Last edited:
No score today (sold out) but I'm going to St. Paul in the morning to the reptile shop, sci-fi bookstore and the giant Linders nursery so I'll let ya know if I find 'em.

thanks for checking for me, but don't go to any trouble mate.... just if its convenient

;)

All the shops I'm hitting sunday are within a mile of each other and are some of my fave places (just so far away) so I don't drive out there very often. It's a good thing you made the post when ya did! Hopefully I'll find them, Linders is a big place with fairly unusual stuff so there's a good possibility.

Back