What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

epiphyte's delight

• Thread starter Millipede
  • Start date
does anybody have this stuff? i cant find it locally and just want to look at the list of nutrients it contains before i get some. i cant find it online

can someone post me a list of the ingredients?

I have some that I bought from Peter Dmato.

Unfortunately, it killed half my collection, but I admit that's because I didn't dilute it enough

could you post the ingredients?

More important than the ingredients of Epiphytes Delight, is using about a 1/4 strength dilution . . .

Hold it, you're using this on cp's or what? I only use it on my tillys. I'll see if I can't find you the ingredient list when I get home later today...

It kills moss. Thats why Peter switched from ED to MaxSea. He also reported better growth blah blah blah...

But yes there is a reason he can sell live sphag again though at the nursery.

Hold it, you're using this on cp's or what? I only use it on my tillys. I'll see if I can't find you the ingredient list when I get home later today...

Growers have been using Epiphyte's Delight on carnivorous plants -- particularly Nepenthes -- for quite a while; and it had been recommended by Peter D'Amato as far back as 1998 in The Savage Garden -- if not earlier.

I have never had it kill moss in any of my applications and wasn't aware of the change to MaxSea; he still sells the other, so far as I know . . .

He told me on my visit that the reason they switched was because of the trace nutrients in the seaweed and the fact that it helped, not killed the moss.

Perhaps his conditions are different than yours. I don't remember seeing any ED there but I know his nursery exclusively uses MS on all their plants at 1tsp per gallon. Not sure if thats by hand or through injector sprayers.

He told me on my visit that the reason they switched was because of the trace nutrients in the seaweed and the fact that it helped, not killed the moss.

Perhaps his conditions are different than yours. I don't remember seeing any ED there but I know his nursery exclusively uses MS on all their plants at 1tsp per gallon. Not sure if thats by hand or through injector sprayers.

Then why did you say that they switched because it kills moss? :suspect:

"He told me on my visit that the reason they switched was because of the trace nutrients in the seaweed and the fact that it helped, not killed the moss."

Anybody who's second guessing me quoting Peter, can just call him to verify the switch. I've never used it so I can't say diddly squat. All I did was ask him why he chooses to use such an expensive fertilizer on his entire nursery.

actually i was planning on using it on my tillandsia, and my cps if they need it but i really dont think they do. ive just never really liked using the orchid fertilizer i have because it has no trace nutrients and its mainly urea based nitrogen.

total nitrogen: 17% as 5.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 11.5% Nitrate Nitrogen
Available Phosphoric Acid 9%
Soluable Potash 26%
Boron 0.02%
Copper 0.05% as Chelated Copper
Iron 0.10% as Chelated Iron
Manganese 0.05% as Chelated Manganese
Molybdenum 0.0005%
Zinc 0.05% as Chelated Zinc

It is 17-9-26

Derived from Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Pottasium Phosphate, Ammonium Nitrate, Copper from EDTA, Iron from EDTA, Manganese from EDTA, Zinc from EDTA, Molybdenum from Ammonium Molybdate, and Boron from Boric Acid.

-----------
...I soak the tillys in it, have a separate orchid fert (use the Schultz pink/purple stuff), don't really have too much in the way of "regular plants" (just a cacao tree, some random succulents and a couple fruit trees from seed this year & alocasia amazonica), and feed the carnivores crickets/spiders/gross bugs I find around the house.

I use this stuff for my Phals. It's Urea free too! I just add the same company's seaweed extract for trace nutrients as well. I used to use this stuff on my CP's but I just had it around for a about a year for my Phals. I can't say what the combo did for my moss since it was still dead at the time.

cool! thanks thez! now we should get someone to post the ingredients for maxsea and have ourselves a comparison party :-D

cool here it is in text:

MAXSEA 16-16-16 soluble plant food
seaweed powder & micronutrients

total nitrogen.........................................16%
- 4% ammonical nitrogen
- 2% nitrate nitrogen
- 10% organic water soluble nitrogen
available phosphate.................................16%
soluble potash........................................16%
sulfur.....................................................3%
boron....................................................0.02%
copper...................................................0.05%
- 0.05% chelated copper
iron.......................................................0.10%
- 0.10% chelated iron
manganese.............................................0.05%
- 0.05% chelated manganese
molybdenum...........................................0.0005%
zinc........................................................0.05%
- 0.05% chelated zinc

DERIVED FROM: seaweed powder; blood meal; urea; ammonium phosphate; potassium nitrate; sulfate of potash; sodium molybdate; sodium borate; copper, iron, zinc and manganese EDTA

Urea

MAXSEA
Urea! :nono:

Hey! Isn't that a concern? ???

(Actually, I often use fert's containing a bit of urea myself, but as was mentioned, dilute it properly,
and if needed rinse the pots out occasionally if build-up is a concern. I haven't had a problem,
but as we know, individual results may vary!)

yeah thats probably what the "organic water soluble nitrogen" come from... so really only 6% of the nitrogen is availble to your plants if thats it

im thinking ill get some epiphytes delight. not really because of the urea in maxsea, but because it 3x cheaper. i can get an 8oz container for like 6 bucks. that would last me for a LOOOONG time at the rate that i use it

edit: actually i just thought of something. what about aquatic plant fertilizers or hydroponics ferts? theyre much more dilute and have micronutrients and all the other essentials. ill look into that now.. whew. thanks internet.... :p

Theres always Alaska Fish Fertilizer which is like 5 bucks at home depot or WalMart, you can use it at full strength 5-1-1, you can add a seaweed supplement for not much more money if you wish, and you don't risk overfertilization, burn, or death of moss because it's all natural! A couple forum users use it here and so far based on what I've seen in non-CP growing, fish emulsion is pretty potent. The proteins in fish emulsion and seaweed fertilizer bond to the soil moreso than chemical fertilizers which can just wash out and offer a more consistent feed until your next cycle.

Back when I was growing organic, I used to use this stuff before switching to MaxSea on my veggies and last years crop were very large and tasty despite the NPK imbalance. I also used Dr. Earth Kelp Powder 0-0-2.5 as a supplement.

Back