What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants vs plants (video)

i discovered an ant nest in my back yard today so i messed with them a bit. theyre surprisingly aggressive for being so small. theyre little red ants. they were crawling all over me by the time i was done filming this. i put my plants on top of the nest for an easy meal. enjoy :)

It's a feast!

Those look like fire ants! Did you get stung?:-(

nah theyre not fire ants

I didn't see one ant go into any trap or pitcher. They don't take suggestions very well!

That's like a McDrive for plants :D

funny how the ants will think that they're in paradise, when really, it's quite opposite...

yeah not many ants were interested in the pitchers or flytraps. i went out a few hours later and all activity had died down. a few got caught in the flytraps but they were all sticking halfway out so i think they just stumbled through the traps and got unlucky in the mad swarm to defend their nest. i get the feeling these are more predetory ants that feed on other bugs more than sugary secretions from plants...

Back