What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthquake!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Tremors from a 5.0 earthquake in Canada were felt from all the way down here in Western Massachusetts on Wednesday afternoon.

Although Springfield is over 350 miles
from the quake's epicenter outside Ottawa, Canada, the quake caused minor disruptions throughout the Pioneer Valley.

The Associated Press reported that Morgan Moschetti, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, said it was not unusual for an earthquake to be felt 300 miles from its epicenter, noting that this quake was felt from Chicago to Maine.

apparently there was shaking here in RI, but nobody really noticed. hmm, I remember suddenly getting dizzy yesterday afternoon...wonder if that's why?

I being in Toronto, felt it quite well, right before my physics exam, everyone thought it would be cancelled.

The whole school shook side to side, not violently but strong, this was my first earthquake!

Oh Toronto is 61 Km or 37 Miles (for them americans ;)) from the epicentre.

Apparently, the top floor of my house was shaking slightly. I wouldn't know, I was outside staring hypnotically at the plants :D

I was apparently in range of feeling it, a lot of my friends did, though i never did here in NY

I didn't feel it but my co-workers did. I was just getting in when it happened. I'm just glad I wasn't on the Grand Island Bridge at the time!

I didnt feel anything, but I *heard* it! (I heard my building being effected by it)
it was very weird..

I was sitting at my computer at work, when suddenly I heard a loud rumbling noise in the ceiling above me..
it sounded like someone was pushing a large heavy table or file cabinet across the floor in the room right above me..which was odd, because I happen to know that entire floor is empty!
(im on the 1st floor of an ancient 8-story bulding)
but I just assumed someone was up there moving stuff around..didnt think anything more about it..

until about 3 minutes later when the company PA system came on with an announcement about the earthquake! I looked out the window, and people in some nearby buildings were evacuating..

so it was weird..because I felt no actual shaking, but I heard the building shaking!
it was actually pretty spooky..like ghosts in the attic..

lots of people heard and felt it all over Western NY..
it was a big one for these parts!
no damage though..

Scot

I didn't feel it when I was outside, but all of my friends did. :p lol.

Back