What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neem oil questions

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I saw a bottle of Green Light 70% neem at Lowes today. Is it OK? Should I just get the 100% online somewhere?

I already have a bottle of GL Rose Defense 0.9% neem, but I don't think all the other ingredients will agree with the plants. Good for roses, though!

OK, I read the whole thing, and I have a few more questions;

I see it's good for Nepenthes, but what about Sarrs, Pings and 'dews? I need to treat them too.

Is the 70% hydrophobic extract "good enough", or should I go online and get some "raw" or "cold pressed" neem? Where do I go to find some? If it's 100% neem, should I add soap? Which?

I use the green light neem concentrate on neps, sarrs, pings and dews and none have died yet. That neem product irradicated a thrips invasion that I had, and I think it's working on a mealies and mites problem that has been in a few of my quarantine plants (orchids...dang they send 'em dirty).

OK, thanks, Thez.

If I don't get a frantic "Noooooo!" in about a day or two, I'm getting the 70% concentrate. It's only $11. :rolleyes:

Ya, I mix that GL neem conc. according to their directions 2tbsp to the gallon, and it works great. Smells not so great, but it gets rid of the bugs and leaves my plants delightfully shiny :-D.

What about Utrics? I have some aphid on a U. longifolia.

I asked the rep about cold pressed and virgin neem and he never responded. He did indicate that there are surfactants in the product and we don't have to add anything. So I used it as it was and followed instructions. I reapplied a few days later. I don't see any more aphids on the plants affected... or anywhere else.

What about Utrics? I have some aphid on a U. longifolia.

I think I have something that looks like U.longifolia and last week and this I just sprayed with that neem conc. mixture - it doesn't look any worse than before (has a bunch of dried out leaves from getting used to my loooow humidity). I'm pretty rough on my plants :-))

Good to know. Thanks!

I'm getting the 70%.

I use the Green Light 70% neem from Lowes on Nepenthes with no ill effect, I use it every 3 months as a preventitive as well. Dont want to be reinfested, I went thru that awhile back and it SUCKED!!!! And I always use it on new arrivals, learned my leason the hard way.

I use the Green Light 70% neem from Lowes on Nepenthes with no ill effect, I use it every 3 months as a preventitive as well. Dont want to be reinfested, I went thru that awhile back and it SUCKED!!!! And I always use it on new arrivals, learned my leason the hard way.

My understanding is that you have to make a fresh batch. Is that what you do?

Back