What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant Triops & aquatic plants/live food

After emailing the seller on ebay and asking several questions I thought I'd pass on them. I would not have anything big enough to grow them in.... no space to set anything up.

Then a day or 2 ago when out in the garage, I passed by a stand I built that has 3 10 gallon tanks on it. Nothing is in them. I used to use them to grow out some baby Leo's that I wanted to keep for myself, but I do have an area I can do that. So I have 3 10 gallon tanks to play with.
I know that I will use on for some CP's the others I can try some Triops. Not sure which ones I'll start with.

Thanks for the image Tom, I think I will get a small filter for them.

Seems like much of the trouble people have with the bigger species are trying to keep them too warm, cooler is better for the non-tropical species. But we'll see what happens, I have my eggs but haven't gotten started with them yet.

I was going to do them in large shallow tubs on the shady part of my patio surrounded by plants for extra shade/shelter kind of like a 20L mini-pond but with giant triops instead of goldfish. I planned to let the water dry up and collect the eggs & sand once they die off at the end of summer or I could just snap the lid on the dry tub of sand and store it in the pantry and rehydrate them the next spring. But it turns out the condo complex is redoing all the patios. I don't wanna have to try and move the tubs full of water all the plants will be bad enough so I'll be using 10 gallon fish tanks this time. If all goes well then next summer I'll do the tubs outside.

Since they are cannibalistic has anyone ever kept them solo?

Swords! I just stumbled across this thread & it looks like a great project. Digging this old thread out was a must. I've had triops a very long time ago for a few years. They are an amazing species to observe & grow. I first set them up in an indoor tank with airpump filtration & they lived fine but never flourished or bred until I did a rubbermaid outdoor setup, on a later batch, that I never once cleaned. lol go figure. I would feed them vegetables, fish pellets, & leftover cut bait pieces once in a while. Mosquitoso also took advantage of the breeding grounds but I never observed if they got eaten. Did you ever get this project going or do you have any updates on it?
any :pics:?

Last edited:
Back