What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

time from seed to first flower

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay folks, which cp, with the exception of sundews, has the fastest maturity rate from planted seed to first flowering?
I'm an orchid grower but would love to try my hand at breeding some cps. And, now that I've grown slightly older :rolleyes: I'd like to see my results in less than 3+ years.
Thanks
Chibae

you can get mature sarrs in that time and darlingtona.( gunna be hard to fong that seed)

most sundews.
and nepenthes will be pitchering but not full grown at 3 years.

you can get mature sarrs in that time and darlingtona.( gunna be hard to fong that seed)

most sundews.
and nepenthes will be pitchering but not full grown at 3 years.

Is there a particular class of neps that will mature faster than others? HL vs LL, large pitcher vs small? Vining vs clumping?

Thanks

i heard most of the people saying the drosera can be fast if you feeding it with suitable food and give it lots and lots of light, except the three queenland sisters, i feed it with enough quantities so that it will not rot and can aid in it's growing speed, now i only grow drosera, other type of cp i still have limited knowledge, sorry if i had make some mistake

While most Heliamphora and Cephalotus take the long track to flowering maturity, the earliest experiences -- from seed to flowering -- I had with those two were an H. pulchella and a particularly vigorous strain of Cephalotus at three years; so too, Dionaea in that same span of time . . .

If you're thinking of breeding you should try doing it in vitro. For smaller species you could get them to maturity in 1/4th the time. For example, vfts in vitro can become mature at nine months, and look at this: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122405

Early maturing mutations CAN happen. Maybe that's what you should work on!

I have had byblis liniflora flower in less than 6 months after starting from seed.

Mybe I should change my criteria, no annuals

Darlingtonia californica take an average of 5-7 years from seed to mature flowering plant.

You can get Sarracenia to flowering maturity with forced growth methods.

Back