What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone interested in John Deere tractors?

what is probably the largest, most complete collection of old John Deere tractors is located bout 15 miles from me, the owner passed away a couple years ago and the family has been unable to locate a buyer for the entire collection(valued at over $6 million for over 400 tractors) so this weekend they are piecing it out at auction.....if someone is interested i can post pics i took today at the auction preview.....

That would sure be something to see! :0o:

Untitled-32.jpg

Untitled-31.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

Untitled-20.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-27.jpg

more photos
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v673/rattler_mt/Misc stuff/JD collection/?start=0

Wow, thats quite a collection!
I love antique tractors..
dont have the land for a "big" one,
but im looking for an antique garden tractor..but I specifically *dont* want a John Deere!
not because I think they are bad..I dont..they have an excellent reputation..
but because JD is SO "collectable" that prices of the JD tractors are ridiculous..way out of proportion to other equilavant brands..and way out of proportion to their real value, IMO..

Im going to look for a 1960's Wheel Horse:
936581212_Vaeap-O.jpg

a 1960's Cub Cadet:
936581214_3xSue-O.jpg

or a 1960's Sears Craftsman:
936581215_RN7CA-O.jpg

(The Craftsman isnt in quite the same league as the Wheelhorse or the Cub, but its still a quality machine..this was when Craftsman still made quality items..today Craftsman mowers are very low-end..)

I can get one of those above, in good operating condition, for about $400..
the equilivant JD tractor, basically equal to those machines in all ways, would run about $1,000!
*only* because JD is so in demand..not because there is anything better about it..
I dont feel like paying double just for the green and yellow paint job! ;)

but apart from that, I do like JD tractors in general..
I will probably never own one though..becuase they honestly arent "worth" the higher price to me..

I actually prefer a 40 year old tractor, rather than a new one, because the old ones are SOOOOO much better quality than new ones..a $400 40 year old tractor is much better than a $2,000 brand new riding mower at the big box stores..(yes, there are quality new machines..but you need to go up to the 3K to 4K level to buy one of those..)

I learned all this while buying a snowblower..a brand new $500 snowblower is junk..
a $200 40 year old snowblower is a tank, and will last forever..

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/Ariens/Page2.html

Scot

Last edited:
Back