What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lighting question

An1matr0n1k

Brandon
what do you think of the philips 120w plat light? good,bad? shiuld i really spring for a fancy hydro shop lighing system?

You really need to give some more info. The light I use is a -
GEdaylight
26 watts
1600 lumens
cool white
fluorescent daylight lightbulb
Make sure it's a fluorescent adding up to (a recommended) 40 watts. Cool white is best.

there isnt much detail on the box 120 volt 120 watt philips plant light from home depot. i have a few plants on a west facing window, cause thats all my apartment has. it only gets a few hours of direct sun so im supplementing with this. its a bulb btw not a tube if that helps.

If you can tell us what you are trying to light (types of plants) and how much you're able to spend we will be able to narrow down what material you need. There's lots of possibilities out there and some great discussions on latest on the market type stuff. For the most part you'll probably just need a fluorescent fixture(s) but how much much wattage (not too sure what 40W has anything to do with???) you'll need and how many fixtures will really depend on the plants you'd like to have.

The bulb you're asking about sounds like an incandescent bulb, pretty much no use to you, unless you'd like to heat your plants. These bulbs simply dont put out enough light to satisfy the plants.

I agree it sounds like one of those R38 bluish/purple colored incandescent spot lights. They are good for keeping your french fries hot on the counter. Worthless for plant growing.
You would be far better off with a couple 40w daylight compact fluorescent bulbs and a couple clip on reflector/socket thingies to put them in.

yes it is that bluish bulb. im growing a n. ventricosa cutting a d. capensis an a p. agnata x moranensis and i have 2 of those clippy light things and im trying not to spend more than $30 per bulb. are the ones from littlegreenhouse.com ok

Your Drosera will like to have more light and your Ping and Nep would do well in a South facing window if you have one. If you're not planning on expanding your collection any time soon you really don't need to buy any lights. Your D. capensis can be grown outside since you're in Cali and again if you have a South facing window that gets plenty of light your ping and Nep will be fine.

Assuming you are wanting to expand your collection, ditch the CFLs. You just don't get as much surface area covered with them as you do with tubes. A lowes or Home Depot would have what you're looking a cheap price. You can find T12 fixtures at mine for about $12 each and 10 bulbs for about $15. But if you can't go through one of those stores for some reason and have to use that site you linked here's what you'd be looking at. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml

i only have west facing windows and no outside(la apartment) it does get like 3-4 hours of direct sunlight. do you think 2 of the compact bulbs would be sufficientsuppliment? thank you for all your help btw.

Your sundew will have to be placed fairly close to the bulbs (no less than 8 inches away) but your ping and Nep will appreciate the extra light from the bulb. If you're referring to the Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs just keep in mind you'll be restricted on expanding your collection in the future as most sundews really like all the light you can give them (with a few exceptions). Good luck, let us know how it works out.

yes it is that bluish bulb. im growing a n. ventricosa cutting a d. capensis an a p. agnata x moranensis and i have 2 of those clippy light things and im trying not to spend more than $30 per bulb. are the ones from littlegreenhouse.com ok

$30 per bulb? wow......i use the cheapest lights i can find in my basement, 4 foot T8s with the cheapest bulbs i can find, usually 10 or so for $20.......has worked for nearly 7 years so far....if yah have decent light through the west window in the late afternoon, as in there are no trees or buildings blocking any light a couple good CFL's will work......

Back