What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFS & Birds

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
How do ya keep the birds from disturbing the pots / uprooting the plants / using the LFS for their nests? Could I topdress with pine needles... or will that result on the same vandalism?

Use a fine-mesh screen over top of your plants, with holes cut out for stems/pitchers (depending on what's in the pot).

Right now I have a family of finches nesting in a big N.miranda...it's awkward come watering time.

Use a fine-mesh screen over top of your plants, with holes cut out for stems/pitchers (depending on what's in the pot).

Right now I have a family of finches nesting in a big N.miranda...it's awkward come watering time.

In one of the pitchers? WOW!

Nah, in the pot on the soil under the leaves :p

I have dealing with the same problem for over a year, If you have a Mini bog try to use heavy pots like clay pot, place it upside down to cover the soil that have opening for them to dig. this prevent them from digging the mini bog.

if you use pot. i suggest to get a big and tall container as a tray ( of course you might wanna drain a hole 1 or 2 inch from the bottom to prevent too much water. and use a net to cover the top, hope that works.

I have gone the the tinsel route in recent years. Just attach a bit of the shiny stuff to a thin bamboo rod placed in the pot and the birds will stay away . . .

*sigh*..the bane of my minibogs..Robins in the spring.
on the plus side, the picking of the moss seems to stop by June..

Scott, are you having problems right now?
thats surprising, since nesting season is long over for most birds..

this is how I have to deal with birds:

CP2008-015.jpg

CP2008-020.jpg

CP2008-064.jpg

The plants dont seem to mind..they just go straight through it..
I leave it on all season..

its "chicken wire" coated with green vinyl/plastic/rubber type material..(im not sure what it is exactly)
but it protects the wire nicely..no rust...I get it at Home Depot! ;)

the CD's do help as well..somewhat:

CP2008-046.jpg

although some birds learn to ignore them..
but I do think they are effective overall..most birds are skittish around the CD's..
the theory is that they dont like the flashing/spinning lights, as the CD's spin in the breeze..
another theory is that they see themselves in the reflection, and dont like other birds..
im not sure what exactly is going on in their tiny pea-brains, but I will always use the CD's,
I do think they help a lot..
without the CD's, I had a lot of bird visitors, of multiple species..
with the CD's, I only have one marauding Robin every spring..the wire mesh is basically only for her..

Scot

Thanks for sharing your techniques. Yeah... they're still getting into my pots. I'm not worried about Sarracenias. It's the smaller plants, like the VFT's that get uprooted in the process.

Blue Jays rape my N American species every year, blue buggers!

I seem to have more trouble with it this time of year than during nest-building season, so I'm not convinced birds are doing it. Given the number of wasps that visit my water tray & pots, I've wondered if they go rummaging around for moisture when I let the water dry up. I know insects are strong for their size, but this seems kind of extreme.

I have a plan involving a tank of liquid nitrogen, a poly tunnel, bird seed and feeding tray and a steam powered piston.....get the pitcher? Works for squirrels too.

I want a system like that for the squirrels that pillage my fruit trees. I can only imagine what it does to them, but it makes me feel good. Real good.

I have a plan involving a tank of liquid nitrogen, a poly tunnel, bird seed and feeding tray and a steam powered piston.....get the pitcher? Works for squirrels too.

LOL! I think I'll just go with a couple gutter guards and shape them into position.

Back