What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dark and Evil Lair of my P. Rufilata :mwahaha:

Took some pics of my P. Rufilata's Dark lair. Isn't she such a Beautiful evil baby, LOL :mwahaha:

a-91.jpg

b-85.jpg

c-73.jpg

How long has she been sitting like that? Has she moved since? I don't like the look of the curl on those front legs. Keep me posted on her condition would ya?

How long has she been sitting like that? Has she moved since? I don't like the look of the curl on those front legs. Keep me posted on her condition would ya?

Will do. Shes looking good I think. I just checked on her and moved her around with the end of a pencil. Shes still moving. A bit slow at the moment. Shes chilling partially in the water dish at the moment.

I think shes been in the same spot for a couple hours.

What you want to watch for are her legs curling under her.. it's called a death curl: http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29/Tran2la/A geniculata enclosure/DSC00185.jpg

Just to be safe, put her in a nice cool place. Somewhere in the low 70's.. Is she just spinning in circles a bit when she moves?

At least the rest of her looks good. If it's not a full on death curl when they arrive, they usually snap out of it in a day or so.

That sounds horrid! Good luck, Nepenthes101.

I'm just over protective is all.. I don't like being able to see their iridescent foot pads from a top view. It's "abnormal".

What you want to watch for are her legs curling under her.. it's called a death curl: http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29/Tran2la/A geniculata enclosure/DSC00185.jpg

Just to be safe, put her in a nice cool place. Somewhere in the low 70's.. Is she just spinning in circles a bit when she moves?

At least the rest of her looks good. If it's not a full on death curl when they arrive, they usually snap out of it in a day or so.

She actually seems to be recovering nicely since I unpacked her. I have her in a nice dark cool closet space of mine. When She walks, she seems to be gaining some strength back.

GOOD! Sounds more like symptoms of shipping in cold weather rather than warm, but as long as she is getting more movement to her I'm pleased. Just leave her be for a while, workout, go to class, and check on her again when you get home. Lemme know her current condition at that time Dr. Woodville..

I just checked on her tonight when I got home from classes. Shes doing great. Very active and holding up well. Thanks again Mass for such a great T.

a-92.jpg

b-86.jpg

Last edited:
That's good she's re-hydrated and got some water pressure back in her system. Sure is a beauty!

It's been so hot here in MN so I would imagine it must be blazing down there in AZ and on a small furry spider under stress of shipping it must be extra rough even if only overnight.

HOORAY! Full recovery.. glad to see she's doing so well. Don't forget about my large female if she does decide to get that sex change. :lol:

HOORAY! Full recovery.. glad to see she's doing so well. Don't forget about my large female if she does decide to get that sex change. :lol:

They can change sex?! :0o:

They can change sex?! :0o:

lol no.. right now it looks female in person. But it could turn out to be male. I HATE Mike's camera. It makes it look male-ish. I won't know for sure until it's next molt or two though. I was never able to get a good look at it's hoo-hoo. I sent it's last two molts to Mike with the T just in case he could get his hands on a microscope. The larger the T get's, the easier it is to see. Here's a molt from an adult T. Females have a flap that the males lack..

Female
female.jpg

Male
male-1.jpg

Shes also doing better because I decided to place her in the 3.3 gallon terrarium that I had got for the Scorpion. I moved the scorpion into the new petpal thing that you sent me with the T. So far they both seem happy. The T this morning seems even more happy. I went out hunting last night for bugs, lol. I caught a brown June bug for the T, and some other small insects for both the Scorpion and T.

That's what I forgot to tell you.. never feed your inverts wild insects. You never know what kind of pesticides or other bad things they could give your pets causing them death. That, and some insects have natural defense mechanisms that can cause death to your critters. Stick to flirting with the cute girls at your LPS (local pet shop).

That's what I forgot to tell you.. never feed your inverts wild insects. You never know what kind of pesticides or other bad things they could give your pets causing them death. That, and some insects have natural defense mechanisms that can cause death to your critters. Stick to flirting with the cute girls at your LPS (local pet shop).

Ah, LOL. Will do then.

She's beautiful. My wife wants a first Tarantula to get us started.

Back