What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning for Cp Growers

I am just starting over again, and couldn't understand why my plants didn't seem to be doing well. I had bought MIRACLE GROW Sphagnum moss and MIRACLE GROW vermiculite at the beginning of spring. I was surprised to notice this evening that on BOTH bags in small letters it states that they are enriched with Miracle Grow Plant food. If you are like me and are only getting started again, you buy a small bag, and I think that is why I have been having troubles, and here I thought I had lost my green thumb. I will probably lose the couple of plants I do have, they are planted in that mix. I wonder if it will kill them to repot them now? Anyway, READ YOUR BAG, I didn't, and I'll bet I lose what I have, MyHumminbird:-(

i made that mistake when i first started, thankfully i had not used the stuff yet :p
but it is pretty common knowledge to not use miraclegrow...youve been here since 2002, and your just starting? :eek:
Welcome to the hobby :p

Sorry again to hear about it...

2002 was the year that everything that could go wrong in my life pretty much did go wrong, and I was so busy at hospitals and things, that I didn't water my plants and lost them all.

I'd repot if I were in that situation. But yeah, I've learned to read all the fine print when it comes to cp stuff. Purity of everything is so important, water, media, ferts, etc. Best of luck and sorry to hear about this!

Well now that I know the problem, at least I can fix it, but I figured if I made that mistake, I couldn't be the only one.

personally,I would wash off the rhizomes and repot. You may have a couple of pitchers whither
yet the rhizome should be stronge enuf tomake new ones. jest keep your plants in the shade for at least 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I will try that, but first I have to find some sphagnum. All I have here now is the long fibered, if I remember right, that was the only brand of moss that Lowes carried, and Wal-mart didn't have any. I think I may have to go shopping in the city for a change, lol. I live in a small area, and we don't have many choices of shopping areas.

I will try that, but first I have to find some sphagnum. All I have here now is the long fibered, if I remember right, that was the only brand of moss that Lowes carried,

Thats exactly what you want..the LFS..or do you think there might be something wrong with that too? if its just plain LFS in a bag, its probably fine..I dont think Miracle Grow offers LFS..just Peat..

Scot

The Lowes around here has LFS in the orchid section. They have two brands: Mosser Lee and Better-Gro. Either should be fine, but I like the Better-Gro stuff more. They both will have some twigs and leaves in them, but when I soaked them the water that came out of the Mosser Lee stuff was much dirtier.

Good luck.

Unlucky, most garden centres that sell cp's will not recommend it to you. They will reccomend some plain cheap peat.

I agree LFSM will work
i know some sars folk that grow only in LFSM
sars will live in pure water for awhile if the crowns are not submerged

Last edited:
Welcome back! Yeah, Lowes sells the real deal for like $4.24. It's also called orchid moss. Ironically, Home Depot sells orchids.... but not the orchid moss (LFS).

Ok, went shopping again, and I found a bag of peat that was HUGE, maybe three feet by three feet. I only have a couple of cp pots, so I bought another bag of the long fibered stuff and am going to repot today. I am also going to try an experiment that is probably old news to you guys. I am going to grind some up in an old coffee grinder to plant some seeds I bought on Ebay. I also bought a small bag of sand to mix with it, but it is desert sand. I found a few places on the net that tells my desert sand is not a good thing. LMK what you guys think.

Back