What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Plants Spring/Summer 2010

Hey all, here is a collection of pics of some of the various Carnivorous Plants I grow. Mostly in between April & July

Guess we'll start with the Neps:

Lowii x Spectabilis

1052crpS.jpg

1054S.jpg

1056S.jpg

1059crpS.jpg

1049S.jpg

1064S.jpg

Comparison to Lowii in the same conditions:

1122S.jpg

1128S.jpg

Some bizarro pitcher:

1111S.jpg

1113S.jpg

1114S.jpg

1118S.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Lowii x Ventricosa B

1072S.jpg

1073S.jpg

1076S.jpg

1106S.jpg

1083S.jpg

1093S.jpg

1090S.jpg

1066S.jpg

Pitchers were fairly new when I took the pics. They've darkened a surprising amount since... gotta take more pics!

Last edited:
A Patriotic Predator

329S.jpg

326S.jpg

023S.jpg

032S.jpg

027S.jpg

038S.jpg

In it's more colourful days:

248S.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

A recent Pitcher of Dyeriana:

103S.jpg

Ventricosa x xTM threw out a flower awhile ago...

043S.jpg

Truncata x Ephipeata:

1136S.jpg

1142S.jpg

Another Pitcher from the same plant

1475s.jpg

1465s.jpg

1505s.jpg

You can see how the Peristome curled against the leaf and stopped as opposed to curling all the way back.
Also this pitcher was in a shadier spot, then the plant was moved.
Which explains the variation.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Some other Carnivorous Plants:

Sarracenia Catesbyi

1212S.jpg

Sarracenia Purpurea

1227S.jpg

Venus Cuptrap Flowers

130S.jpg

Drosera Regia

Started flowering, got some pics along the way up to right when the first flower was opening.
Then my friends bachelor party came along and lemme tell you I have a little too much fun at those... ended up with a respiratory infection that I did get over before the wedding which I partied a little too hard at as well.

Problem is, I missed the peak of the flowering.
I did get a couple pics with my lesser camera on an overcast day of the last flower on it's way out.
Figures...

Anyways:

1014S.jpg

1008S.jpg

1009S.jpg

138S.jpg

150S.jpg

136S.jpg

1029S.jpg

1026S.jpg

167S.jpg

183S.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

My Big-Momma Big Easy needed a repotting as it was just a little root-bound:

307S.jpg

Had abuncha U. Bisquitmata in there too. d**n things get everywhere!

309S.jpg

A brown-paper grocery bag for size reference

312S.jpg

A Plant I grew from a cutting of the above Big Easy

1172S.jpg

1173S.jpg

D. Prolifera

1200S.jpg

1202S.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

A couple of my Cephs flowered recently.

To start off with, here's one that makes hooked side-ribs sometimes. Not always though, as you can see not at the moment...

1163S.jpg

1150S.jpg

1147S.jpg

1161S.jpg

1360s.jpg

1401s.jpg

1404s.jpg

1408s.jpg

A Ceph that tends to make wider, fat pitchers

1185S.jpg

A plant that seems to not like too much light like the others do. Seems happier when it's greener...

1439s.jpg

1437s.jpg

1435s.jpg

1413s.jpg

Plenty of extra photographs of everything at the website... check it out if you wanna see more!

You have some seriously, crazy-amazing plants there.:hail:
Kudos to you!!! Thanks for sharing (and giving me inspiration ;))
:-D:-D

You have beautifull plants.
I hope mine will be as good looking someday :)

Great looking Neps! How long do you keep the D. regia outside and what do you when you bring them in?

Thanks all, glad you like em. I'm sure you guys could grow plants like these given time and the right conditions & care.

Jimscott, I just take the plants outdoors to photograph and I try to move the plants as little as possible. Otherwise they sit indoors, under T12's. The cool-growers like the Regia's and HL Neps are in my kitchen downstairs which I A/C during the Summer and is not-really heated in the Winter so it stays rather cool.
Spring and Fall the windows are wide open and that's when the temperatures are perfect!

The Sarrs I do grow outside during most of the year except the Winter.

I'm not sure whether to take them outside for the next few months or leave them at the south-facing window sill, or put them on the grow rack, under the Grolites. Whaddya think?

Im speechless about your fine art.. every single one of them is just so amazing, and the way you choose pot for them, and how natural they grow. almost like CP bonsai

wow. the green/purple striping from the spectabilis parent managed to express itself in the hybrid. that's nice! now only if we could do the same with spec x aristo....

Matt...simply stunning, as always!

Hi Jimscott, I've been growing Regias for awhile (the flowering Regia is over 7 years old and has been through hell and back) and I've always grown under lights indoors so that's all I could really tell you about.
They've always done best in cool spots like basements or in the kitchen I mentioned under T12'S.

The Big Easy's I sent you are cuttings from the cuttings of the Big Big Easy. They should be a bit more heat-tolerant than usual Regias, but try not to get em over 85F for a prolonged period (like the rest of the summer) 75F is a better high.

For outdoor conditions, the UK & Californian growers would know more than I. They've got some real beauty's! And most of em grow them outdoors as far as I know.

Thanks Indigo, the Bonsai-thing is what I've been looking to do all these years. Glad you noticed!

Amphirion, I am pleased on how the colouration of this hybrid is turning out. Pretty much what I expected. Should be exciting to see how it develops as it matures!

Thanks Emily! I dunno how many of these'll make it to the show... I'm driving a Saab now instead of the Town Car and it just doesn't have the room the ol' beast had...

BTW I don't mean that the Regia cannot take 85F at all for the rest of the Summer... just not constantly ever day for the rest of the Summer. Here and there should be alright.

Anyways, after taking some of these pics I turned around and took a few of the Landlord's Fish Pond:

1367s.jpg

1369s.jpg

1382s.jpg

1211s.jpg

Stargazers he calls these. Pretty big, this is at eye level

And since everyone likes Bugs, here's a wild one

1379s.jpg

Back