What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poaching carnivorous plants: Is it ok to take a couple for breeding purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know poaching and directly selling the plants is considered taboo. But what if I want to use them for breeding?

I don't know if you guys have heard of Barry Rice, but he's been in my area searching for carnivorous plants, specifically some drosera. This was some time ago.

ANYWAYS, he said he never publishes the specific location of plants he's found out of fear of poaching, expect where I live because it's so remote he doesn't see anyone going to the trouble of getting to them. Except for me. It's only a two hour drive for me and is near one of my favorite ski hills.

There are no carnivorous plants that grow in my area too well. Sarracenia is a myabe. But to have a viable drosera would be amazing.

Having never taken carnivorous plants out of the wild, would be it against the community to harvest a few and try to breed them?

I have a couple of friends willing to join me on my expedition. One's a somewhat accomplished mountaineer and the other is a ski bum like myself that grew up in the next town over. So a bit of a hike and the terrain doesn't scare us.

This is the area we'd be heading to:
usa-id004.jpg

And this is what we'd be shooting for! (drosera anglica, this particular bunch being hearty to the area):

im23.html

droseangli012.jpg

droseangli018.jpg

If anything I'd breed them and try to sell the offspring locally as carnivorous plants people could grow outdoors in a bog garden.

I'm kind of excited for this adventure, even if I only get to look and not touch.

Check state laws, contact the property owner ect. :) Don't go just around collecting plants without permission.

Last edited:
Poaching is poaching. The answer should have been self-evident the moment you used the word.

Crap, I can't figure out how to lock a topic here. I'm assuming it's painfully obvious?

If anything I'd want to spread the beauty of carnivorous plants to my local area. Not keeping them for myself. I've already promised four (indoor tropical) plants out of my collection to friends and coworkers.

My opinion... take it for what you will.

Don't poach. Ignorantly taking a plant from the wild is a BIG NO. Doing the proper research and getting the authorization from local authorities is acceptable in my opinion. The local authorities will hopefully know if the species in question is threatened or not. How do you think Dr. Rice is able to take them from the wild in your area/country and go back home with them? I doubt he just has a doctor badge that he waves at customs while at the airport.

It is this task of seeking approval that usually weeds out those who are looking to make a quick buck from the ones who are looking to preserve the species as it is usually very painstaking from what I have read.

Not a Number:

You're right. By definition poaching is an illegal act, but before I looked up the definition I assumed it was only referring to taking something out of it's natural environment, not necessarily against the law. But I will still not be collecting any specimens regardless.

Now how do I lock this topic?

You can't lock or delete a topic unless you have administrator, moderator or "Thank You" member privileges. And "Thank You" members can only lock topics that they started.

Ah, thanks. So if a mod see's this feel free to lock as my question has already been answered.

No, don't lock this. It is important that from time to time it is talked about even if embarassing someone for a moment. Anyone still not convinced should read Barry Rice's thread on the ICPS forum where at a scientific conference on CP's they didn't want Mr. B.R. himself involved at all with their meet on conservation. The reason being that evry Tom, Dock, and Harry wanted to take just a couple of plants was the number one destroyer of North American habitats. They wanted to shut out one of the worlds foremost conservationalists because of his open public forum, for fear of the public learning where they are. Seriously, think about it. BR is a CP warrior, and they didn't trust him. Ask yourself now, "Who am, and how dare I?". I did and have never thought about it again. (Steps off soapbox.)

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Seriously. Hobbyists are the number one habitat destroyer in the U.S.. Most with good intentions I'm sure. This makes me sad, as many I'm sure.

Closed per OP request.
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back