What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members in Utah, sound off. . .

JB in Utah

Come To The Light. . .
I'd like to know who else is growing CPs in Utah. I'd have half a mind to organize or join some sort of Club or Society for CPs in Utah if I knew of more than just myself and those whom I've given CPs to. Plus it would be awesome to visit some bog gardens on the Wasatch Front so I can admire them.

Well, it's been over two months now, but I'm not giving up hope on meeting some Utahns here to share growing tips etc.
So far it's just me and nightsky.

Last edited:
I'm up in Herriman.

I'm here too, up in Kaysville. My neighbor is also attempting to grow some Nepenthes she got at a local garden center, but she isn"t exactly following all of my advice, but her plants are still ok.

Well at least this thread isn't completely dead. I wish your neighbor luck and that she'll follow your advice.

I just taught a class today about how take care of plants indoors and I got a lot of interest from my students when I talked about my CPs, especially my nepenthes and minibog that I brought as examples along with my majesty palm, madagascar palm, angel vine, black valentine orchid, and dwarf orange tree. I was a great experience, I think I'll try and do it again next year.

Hopefully sometime in the future I can get some Utah growers together and form a Utah Carnivorous Plant Society, until then I'll just bide my time and post every year or two in this thread.

So far it's just me and nightsky.
You may want to consider sending something out via the CP listserver - pretty big audience there...

Also - the ICPS membership website allows you to search the membership in a number of ways. I just searched for members in Utah & found 8 (with names & locations) - although one of those is the BYU Library. Two are in SLC & two are in Logan.

Utahn in Colorado

I grew up in Orem but am attending medical school in Colorado currently. Maybe some day we'll end up back there.

Awesome, I figure as soon as I can get at least 10 people we can set up a meeting. Although byuboy29 you probably wouldn't be able to make it. BTW my wife just graduated from BYU with a Civil Engineering Degree, good school, but not my style - UVU is the school I call home.

Who needs ten people?!?! Three is company (or five or six)!! I'm living in Provo, and my mom lives in Salt Lake with my CP collection split between both localities.I also know a really nice collector in Sugarhouse, Salt Lake City who has a nice collection. We should definately meet with some people in the not-too-distant future.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I am beginning to get interested in growing some carnivorous plants. I've begun doing some research but I'm having trouble finding a good place to start. Any advice is appreciated. I am from Orem too, and I would also be very interested in attending any local meetings if those are stilll being planned? Thanks.

Sorry I haven't written in a while. I've been dormant on TF for the winter (happens every year). I think a meeting or something would be awesome sometime this summer. Let me know if anyone is interested and we can organize a meet and greet, I'm taking classes until the end of June, but I have weekends open for possible meetings before then.

Anyone in the Orem area can come see my class on CPs next Tuesday afternoon at Utah Valley University from 3:40 p.m. to 4:40 p.m. , I'm sure there will be plenty of seats. I'll post the room number when I find out.

So, I forgot to post the room number for my presentation that was a week ago, but despite that, I was very happy to see so much interest in the CP hobby, I had about 30 people there and about 5 at the end that were really interested. They have my contact info, so let's see if I can give any plants away to the ones that get back to me. Thanks again to Utah Valley University for letting me teach the workshop.

I'm still open to having a meeting sometime this summer, it will be awesome, even if only a few people show.

Obviously still just gaining momentum on this Utah movement
Any other Utah'ns joined the hobby in the recent past?

I have been growing in Utah since 2003, when I started I made a Utah CP society website forum to find interest in a society and at the time my brother in law and I were mostly it. There was a cool kid that was with us too, but haven't heard from him in forever and don't even remember his name. I wonder where he is at these days.

It has been over a year since the last post in here, are any of you actively following Terraforums? JB joked that he goes dormant in the winter, I find that I am the opposite. Every winter when it gets cold in Utah and the Trees lose their leaves I find myself back in full motivation to grow and talk CPs. They are how I get through the non-growing season here in Utah.

So, I was about to post a "UTAH CP GROWER ROLL CALL" thread after I searched to see if anything else already existed. I am glad I found something but sad it is over a year old.

JB I live in Orem as well, ready to help create the UTAH CP society with you whenever you want. I found that hosting the forum wasn't as useful as just coming to Terraforums but I can host a site again to get us a location for information about the society. I would also want to order a ton of seeds to have a free membership seed bank to build interest in joining. It is always sad to see the flooded vendor VFTs sitting in our nurseries and stores around here, but kids are buying them. I would love to help them know how to grow them better.

Growing them indoors under lights for a couple years but I haven't tried to grow any outdoors in the warmer months. I moved away from Utah in 2005 and haven't yet tried VFTs outdoors. I hear people growing VFTs in Colorado, so I wonder what we could do, especially in a bog situation that has enough local humidity and depth to not dry out completely in a very hot day.

Hope some of you are still active and see this!

Last edited:
JB joked that he goes dormant in the winter. . .

Hope some of you are still active and see this!

Sorry 'bout the delay, I've actually been dormant on TF for 15 months, but I'm back and willing to talk CPs now that things have settled down a little in my life.

Here! Farmington Utah, but am moving to Kaysville Utah!

I think we should call our group Utah Pride.

I just joined and live in Southern UT!

I live in Hurricane, UT. About 25 miles north of St. George. just started growing VFT's and a Drosera Spatulata.
I was beginning to feel like I was the only person in UT that had any interst in CP's

Hi all. I had replied to this thread years ago. Turns out I am moving back to Utah after finally finishing my training. I'll be in American Fork. My plants only just settled in here in Rochester, NY and now they'll probably pout when I move them again. Anyway, once the dust settles I'd love to meet others interested in the hobby. I may have some divisions/cuttings and seedlings to share as well depending on how the fare in my move.

I'd like to know who else is growing CPs in Utah. I'd have half a mind to organize or join some sort of Club or Society for CPs in Utah if I knew of more than just myself and those whom I've given CPs to. Plus it would be awesome to visit some bog gardens on the Wasatch Front so I can admire them.
Me!! I'm in Davis County.

Back