User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor's pit bull attacked my dog!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neighbor's dangerous dog attacked my dog

Warning: My story is tamer than the average dangerous dog attack, but it's still somewhat disturbing. Some of the 15 photos in this thread are a little bloody. If you cannot handle the sight of blood, you should skip this thread now.

My next door neighbor (let's call him "Jason") acquired a dangerous dog some time in July 2010. Then on July 31st (Saturday) Jason decided to take down part of the wooden fence that separates his front yard from our front yard. He replaced it with a new one-foot-taller fence. The problem is that there are gaps between the new fence and the old fence.

On Tuesday, Jason's dangerous dog got into our yard. The lactating dangerous dog attacked our male German Shepherd, Garth. The dangerous dog practically ripped off Garth's left ear. I was at an unrelated doctor's appointment at the time of the attack, so my mom took Garth to the vet; they performed surgery on Tuesday and Thursday. The vet had to completely remove Garth's ear and sew the area shut, so now Garth can only hear with his right ear. Garth also has some smaller injuries on his legs.

My mom is furious with Jason and his dangerous dog. She called the police, and Animal Control came to the scene. My mom is pressing charges and will most likely be suing Jason in small claims court to pay for Garth's $600-and-growing medical bills. By the way, our two cats and our other dog are unharmed. Our other dog, Charlie, witnessed the attack and for a while was afraid to go into the front yard. We will be putting the dogs in the back yard until the gaps in the front yard fencing get fixed.

Here's the V-shaped gap in the fence. The old fence is gray and the new fence is redwood.

Here's a close-up of the gap.

This is the reverse angle of the gap.

Here's the female dangerous dog.

Right after the attack, the far half of the dangerous dog's face was covered in blood. The dog's owners tried to clean up the dangerous dog before these pics were taken.

In this pic, the dangerous dog looks injured, but as far as I know the dog was never taken to the vet.

More close-ups.

You don't want to mess with this dangerous dog.

Here's Charlie from before the attack. He was a witness to the attack, but escaped uninjured. He's a lot faster than Garth.

Here's Garth from before the attack. Notice he has two ears.

Here's Garth after his stay at the vet. This is his good side. The red liquid in these pics is discharge. The discharge is supposed to drain out of the dog, whereas blood is supposed to stay in the dog. In other words, it's good that the red liquid is draining out.

Here's some close-ups of Garth's stitching.

I think that owning a dangerous dog is like owning an uncontrollable, pet-able, gun. I also think that Jason should have to get rid of the dangerous dog; we'll have to wait and see how Animal Control handles the situation.

Anyways, there's my somewhat lengthy dangerous dog attack story.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to checking out everyone's reaction to this senseless violence,
    raccoon city
    a.k.a. John
    Last edited by raccoon city; 08-22-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: apparently animal control takes the phrase "dangerous dog" more seriously than "pit bull"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG, I am soooo sorry for you and your dog. You did the right thing by calling animal control, did they take the pitbull away? I had a similar problem a few years ago, and because the neighbors dog was wolf/pitbull mix, they were told they needed a zoo handlers license and when outside he had to be crated all the time. They got rid of him. He was VERY mean, and kept digging under the fence. I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery for your dog. I love animals, but when they display this mean side, I firmly believe they should be put down!!!!
    MyHumminbird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this breaks my heart, to see such violence from what is supposed to be an domesticated animal, did jason offer to get rid of the dog, or is he defending what the pit did, pits can be very loving and gentle animals, but as with all mother animals, they can be vicious for now apparent reason even after the pups/ children are gone.
    i do wish garth a speedy recovery, looks as if he is on in years,what a pitty he'll have to adjust because of jasons carelessness, he should have been very sure of his fencing before getting such an animal.
    Last edited by uphwiz; 08-08-2010 at 09:30 AM.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's even more scary is that if the pb was lactating, then there are puppies with her temperment around.
    My prayers are with your dog
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that pit needs to be shot......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad, because dog attacks happen a lot, but pitbulls are so strong, so their attacks are more damaging. I have met the nicest pitbulls, and some mean ones. However, the ratio of decent/insane pitbulls is really no different than other dogs, from my experience. Both my mother and my grandmother ran dog boarding kennels, so dogs are something I know a bit about.
    While the actions of this pitbull were terrible, it is not the fault of the breed, but of the owner. He obviously did not care for the animal correctly, and his shoddy fence work is inexcusable. I wish that more people that actually cared for animals bought pits, as opposed to people who just get them because they look tough, or for whatever reason. Also; The studded collar on that pit looks ridiculous.
    I am so sorry about what has happened to your dogs, both physically and emotionally, and I wish them a speedy recovery. Hopefully Garth will heal up well, and adjust alright. Poor pup.
    I hate irresponsible pet owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any dog that breaks into another persons yard to attack another dog needs to be shot cause it can not be trusted.....a dog protecting its own turf is another issue entirely.....

have dealt with this exact issue before except it was a great pyrenees that jumped into my buddies yard and nearly killed one of his dogs that i had to put down cause it could not be saved......the GP was dead with in a half hour of killing my buddies dog....

dogs like this reguardless of breed need to be put down......and if im on the jury you can shoot the owner and ill let yah off on "temporary insanity" defense.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a shepherd owner, my heart goes out to you. I'd be devastated if my dog was attacked and mauled that badly. When I saw pics of Garth, my stomach filled with butterflies.
    I can't say that I blame the pitbull. It was probably poorly socialized. The responsibility lies completely in those raising the dog. The LEAST they can do is cover your vet bills, and that's at the very MINIMUM!

That dog needs to be registered as a dangerous dog - meaning that it cannot go outside without a responsible adult and usually needs to be leashed. Find out more about your rights here:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...gcode31601.htm
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast