What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White mold on soil problem

I found white mold on the soil of my ventrata today.
A couple of months ago i repotted it and just filled up the room between the rootball and the pot with new soil.
It's the new soil that has mold on it.
I usually water the plant every 1 or 2 days, on dry dies the plant sucks up all the water in a day.
The mold showed up yesterday after i didnt water the plant for 2 days.
It looks a bit like the mold one of my moms succulent plants had in the pot, in a few months that stuff worked it's way through the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot, killing the plant.
Does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it easily ?
I also found a bug while examining the pics i took, is it spider mite ?

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

it will go away as soon as the mold eats whatever its feeding on.....no use trying to kill it cause it will keep coming back until all its food is gone.........

as for the mite, no webs, aint a spider mite......all kinds of harmless mites out there, especially living in damp areas....

then i guess it's just the outer layer of new soil that stays too wet bec there aren't any roots in it yet.
this is the plant btw:
IMG_5883.jpg

It gets plenty of fresh air, it's between an open window and a mostly open door.

Edit: i just poked around in the soil with a stick, the moldy part is wet and compacted, the old non moldy soil is fine.

It takes some practice to learn how much to compact a potting mix and some are less forgiving than others. I think it's better to err on the side of under-compaction and would dig the compacted mix out and try again

Back