What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$5 shelf kit

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
If you have a Michael's Craft Store near you they have a 32" L x 32" H x 13.5" W wooden slat shelf kit available for holding your terrariums or books or whatever just $5! You couldn't buy the lumber at HD for that. So if you need a new shelf (and who doesn't) take a look. At our local Michael's they were stacked up in a rolling palate sized cart out in front of the store.

I bought one today and will put it together tomorrow if it's sturdy with four 20 High vertical tanks on it I may go buy a few more.

I was getting ready to build a similar shelf but I can't beat $5 and basically already assembled except for a few end screws! :D

legs can be screwed on the ends of the shelves (giving you all 32" width) or onto the front & back.

Last edited:
awesome! hey let us know how it holds up!

Btw i got some of that amazing goop stuff...OMG, it smells like death. going to get the acrylic glass 2morrow to start the new terrarium. so hopefully you have it together and can tell me how sturdy it is so i can swing by michaels and see if mine has it.

ps. should i silicon ontop of the goop once the goop dries and cures?

Yeah Goop has to air out outside for at least a week and longer if you plan on putting an animal in it There is no need to put silicone overtop of goop.

I hope your acrylic is rated as water & heat resistant because generally it will warp under lights & exposed to high humidity. In such a circumstance silicoen lets go, I don't know if Goop will release from warped, wam and wet acrylic or not. If you have a Lowes or Ace Hardware nearby they carry the same size glass panes that Home Depot does but Lowes & Ace will cut it to whatever sizes you need for free just give them a list of sizes and tell them you'll be back in half an hour to pick it up.

Cutting glass yourself with a T square and glass cutting key is extremely easy once you get the knack, it does take practice at first though. Real glass is better and cheaper than the acrylic/plexi. I strongly urge you to go with real glass and have Lowes cut it. All you have to do is bring it home, sand the edges with sanding paper wrapped around a piece of wood (cos they're sharp) and glue it together using either Goop or silicone whichever you prefer.

Here is a video of how to assemble a very basic terrarium from pre cut glass panes as if Lowes had cut it for you (this video doesn't show how to cut the glass just the prep & gluing). It's not a fancy tank or even exactly the way I build mine but gives you the basic idea how to build it, add or subtract to the process where you see fit. I don't waste all that tape, just enough to make sure my glue lines are clean and to hold the curing panes together.
<object width="480" height="385"> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3Jxf8Ck4Us?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Last edited:
hmmm that is defenetely something to consider, the ONLY reason i use acrylic is to make the holes for the humidifier, fan, and opening is sooo much easier then with real glass.

If you could use the acrylic in a small section of one panel of the top (or better part of one of the sides) for your accessory fittings the rest could be glass.

example: if an end piece should be 24" Tall x 24" wide make it 20" tall and 24" wide and glue in a 4" strip of acrylic for the vent and humidifier fittings.

For a door in all glass:

If you cut two 1/2" wide strips of glass and two 1" wide strips of glass (the length of the tank) you can make your own sliding track for the front door.

The 1/2" piece is the brace/track that the door sits on, and the 1" strip glued ontop of that holds the door inplace ontop of the 1/2" brace/track. lets see if i have a pic of a such a door...
Yep:

kk4.jpg

kk5.jpg

As far as the shelf kit goes it's fine but I suggest taking 16 1 1/4" screws and securing the shelf slats to the shelf rails, they are only stapled on and while they are ontop of the rails I feel better having them screwed down.

Back