What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I've sown some D. Venusta seeds in a pot with 50/50 peat/pearlite and had them in the pot for a few weeks in the windowsill. After not seeing any results I removed the plastic bag (it's been off for about a week now) and now I'm seeing what I think is some microscopic seedling growth (teeny-tiny, two round leaves and a fingery "hand like" appendage coming out from the side, which I think is the first of the carnivorous leaves? A little bigger than the head of a ball-point pen).

However now I've got a globulous green slime on top of the soil mix that I assume is either algae or fungus. My question is should I get some fungicide or something to spray on top of there to keep it from choking out the seedlings or would I be doing more harm than good?

See this thread for photos of what many Drosera seedling look like. Most species will have two blade-like cotyledons (seed leaves) before growing the infant true or trap leaves.

As far as the slime goes it is probably a cyanobacteria/blue-green algae. Normally it does not pose much of a problem but could be an indicator of too much available nutrients in your mix or water. Either the "slime" will exhaust the nutrients and dry up or you may have to scoop it off a layer of your media and replace it. The latter may not be an option with seedlings as you are likely to scoop up seedlings.

I would not recommend an algaecide like Physan 20. You can give it a try but it may do more harm than good.

Whew- I almost gave up on them!

Yep, those look like the sprouts I have, especially the ones in the post by taleisin. Hopefully the first 3 of many. I think I'm going to leave the bag off the top and let them grow out. Might cut down on some of the algae too. Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I really appreciate it :).

See this thread for photos of what many Drosera seedling look like. Most species will have two blade-like cotyledons (seed leaves) before growing the infant true or trap leaves.

As far as the slime goes it is probably a cyanobacteria/blue-green algae. Normally it does not pose much of a problem but could be an indicator of too much available nutrients in your mix or water. Either the "slime" will exhaust the nutrients and dry up or you may have to scoop it off a layer of your media and replace it. The latter may not be an option with seedlings as you are likely to scoop up seedlings.

I would not recommend an algaecide like Physan 20. You can give it a try but it may do more harm than good.

I'm glad they sprouted for you! I haven't had too much faith in that seed for some reason. It relieves me!

The algae and stuff in my pics don't seem to bother the seedlings.
New ones grow straight through it.

For some reason, whenever I used to try seeds, I got a green slime in the shape of a cup. Turns out, it turns into a fern!

AW...
Fern spores do that!
(Spores are like seeds to them!)

That slime might not be an immediate problem, but from my experiences with it it will become a problem. It's a for sure indication that there are unwanted nutrients in the mix. The algae will fix nitrogen into the mix and eventually the levels can become destructive. Also other byrophytes will colonize, and mosses/liverworts/ferns will out compete Drosera. Since these are seedlings likely to be transplanted soon, short term conditions are ok. I suggest you rinse your potting medium when you repot - peat quality is not a constant, it depends on where in the bog it was taken from. Deeper mined peat can have a very high mineral level. Experiments with a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter gave PPM readings close to a thousand = nearly 10 times the normal acceptable level for most CP health, and certainly for Drosera. I'd rinse off the perlite too.

I'm glad they sprouted for you! I haven't had too much faith in that seed for some reason. It relieves me!

Yeah, the seedlings are limping along. There's only the three teeny tiny ones so far. I hope they pull through. ???

Back