What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sounds like no no no ! no way man !

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date
Hoo-ey.

And you still have to put sun screen on all exposed skin.

LOL I saw that on TV, maybe that show The Doctors? But I doubt it would block any more sun than any other pieces of clothing do.

I need it! :-D

I kinda feel like there could be something to it. Here is why. As you probably know my "real" job isdoing the grounds for an apartment complex and for this I wear long sleeve hiking shirts like this: http://www.columbia.com/Bahama™-II-L/S-Shirt/FM7048,default,pd.html They have the UPF protection built in... Now they advertise that theirs does not wash off and one of the three things that attributes to this is a tight knit weave, but the other two things seem like they could be something that could be washed into the fabric. Now, why do I say these shirts even work? Between these shirts, pants, and a pretty goofy hat (http://www.tilley.com/images/styles/high/T4IS-2.jpg not me pictured lol), at my last blood test I was told I need to supplement in vitamin D. Which comes from UV exposure to the sun... Soo... I could only guess the clothes are actually protecting me. ???
Andrew

spend alot of time out on the water under hot sun......ive got certain cloths i wear out on the lake in summer that actually have a SPF rating to block out UV rays......dont bother with them for day to day stuff but they make a difference out fishing where im on an open boat under the hot sun with the rays beating up on me off the water aswell.....i will wear blue jeans before i wear cheap light weight pants out on the water.....

My wife has a couple Solumbra shirts which are supposed to be especially good at blocking the sun and the company makes a big point of saying their protection comes from how the fabric is made, not on a treatment that can wash out. That makes me think others might add sun protection to clothing with chemical treatments. It isn't that surprising, since that's what sunscreens do. As for Andy's hat - it isn't goofy; I wear the essentially identical Tilley TH-4 hat.

looking goofy beats skin cancer........

should prolly add ive got a goofy looking floppy hat, a cheap one from an army surplus store cause it gets tossed in the water regularly to act as my personal swamp cooler :D

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

My wife has a couple Solumbra shirts which are supposed to be especially good at blocking the sun and the company makes a big point of saying their protection comes from how the fabric is made, not on a treatment that can wash out. \

could be, i found out light color blue jeans are better than cheap wind pants.....granted the material is thicker but i always felt better getting off the boat at the end of the day.....the sun didnt zap my energy as bad with the jeans....besides a lil breeze and you can pour some water on them and they can cool yah down real quick, on a cooler day dangerously so...there is a reason survival experts say cotton kills......

learned after some messing around with different experiments the more expensive SPF rated fishing shirts and pants were worth the money if yah wanted light weight cloths under the hot sun....the cheap ones werent worth it.....

Last edited:
As for Andy's hat - it isn't goofy; I wear the essentially identical Tilley TH-4 hat.
Opinions vary, I don't mind it... some really think it's goofy. BUT

looking goofy beats skin cancer........

That's my whole argument! :-))

Also, they are expensive but they stand by the warranty. I bought my hat like 9 years ago and I always hand washed it. One day I didn't have time, so I threw it in the washer as the instructions said... Apparently I've worn it out because it came out of the wash just shredded. I contacted Tilly and they asked for me to send the hat in, and I did. They sent me a new one and my old one back- no other questions asked. :-O

Andrew

Did someone mention goofy hats?

001-1-3.jpg

That's a Solumbra hat that I made just two modifications in: Added a logo to the front and made an exit for the ever-present pony tail (AKA my hat-holder).

Here's me in my hat again, and Dory in his Solumbra shirt (and pants, though you can't see those). Good, good products, though very pricey. I'd like to get a couple sets some day. The pants zip apart, in case you need to go wading. It was 105* that day, with no wind, and both of us were as comfortable as could be. Both hats were dripping wet.

_EYE9050-2.jpg

Just for fun--> I wear many goofy hats. Here are a few of my favorites: http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc221/tippitytwitchit/just%20me/

It's good to see people taking sun exposure seriously. I know someone who is battling Stage 4 melanoma and that has a way of getting a person's attention.

Not to further hijack the thread, but I shredded my Tilley hat too and, since it was my fault, not a manufacturing defect, I emailed them to ask if they had any recommendations on how I could fix it. They said to send it in and they'd replace it. Since they didn't have the same color anymore, they said I could pick whatever hat I wanted. I got the same model, but in the darker color, and they even let me get a slightly larger one and returned the original hat too. I'm glad I got the Tilley, even though I never would have bought such a pricey hat except that most hat companies don't make a big enough hat for me.

I'll play Devil's Advocate and leave a little video here.....

http://youtu.be/Mv1naIENqcE

Totally safe for work...Although there is music...

problem with that theory......back then 30-40 was old age, you died before skin cancer could kill yah.....as i said i dont go over board and protect myself during normal stuff due to all the reasons the guy said but if im gonna be out in it alot there is reason to cover up, Paleo guy died at 40 or younger and my family is known to live to 100....

In addition it seems rather impossible to

A) get enough sun for vitamin D

while

B) not burning (to prevent skin diseases)

while

C) not using the "dangerous" skin protection lotions

because how are we supposed to know that point before we do burn? I usually don't see or feel my burns until after I've been out of the sun for a period of time.

Just seems like a bunch of the problems mentioned were not fully addressed in the video. Taking pills sure makes sense but the whole point was that we shouldn't be as worried about the sun because our ancestors weren't...

But maybe I just misinterpreted...

I never see much sun in photos from the places where my ancestors came from in Central and NW Europe and those places are surprisingly far north. Romania is the furthest south that any of my known ancestors came from and that's about as far north as Maine. My Irish ancestors were at the same latitude as the south shore of Hudson Bay in Canada. Where I live in the NE US, however, is at about the same latitude as Rome, home of people with much darker complexions than me. People in the southern US are at the same latitude as North Africa. A lot of us live in areas that not only have more sunny days than where our ancestors are from, but also have more intense sun because of being at a lower latitude. Be careful.

Thats where having a proper tan comes in. Tricky to get it started but once in place burning is pretty hard to do. Granted your skin will look like dried leather by the time your 70...

Learned this doing construction work. Outside all day with no shade. We were the ones making the building to provide shade, lol. Rather than wear a sweaty shirt all day, I would take it off before we got started. Then I would have a nice clean shirt to wear on the way home/around town. Had to cover up between around 11 and 1 or else I would burn, other than that....

There is a certain satisfaction in that kind of work thats hard to beat. Not to mention the benefits of all that exercise and fresh air. I hate that I had to move on. There wasn't enough job security from one week to the next. Rain, freezing temperatures, or just bad scheduling and your short on pay. Possibly for weeks at a time. Not to mention all the benefits of hard labor and dust filled air.

Would I have gotten skin cancer had I kept this up? We'll never know. Would I have gotten skin cancer before some form of lung disease from breathing all the dust from the concrete, bricks, and the sand pile did me in? I doubt it. (Physical exams were showing a wheezing deep in my lungs, which continued for a few years after I quit smoking even :0o: )

Back