What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Anybody Needs to Communicate With Me...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
..please use the Email option.

Computer access is usually a hit a miss thing for me. My 20 year old son has a desktop in his room. He is nocturnal and is on that computer for most of his waking life, as late as like 4 am. I work 2nd shift hours but am usually up for good around 7:45 am. So I go inti his and his brother's room and spend about an hour in the morning on the computer. My wife works for Educate Online, tutoring Math and Reading. Her hours vary but usually she has hours beginning at 9 am, using her laptop, with a hub that connects the desktop to the signal. Technically, both computers could be going at the same time. Reality is that if someone is using the desktop at the same time she is teaching, all sorts of bad things happen on her end - the connection, slowness, "audio bleed".... So when she's on, I can't. If she has a break at 10 or a 11, I'll slip in and finish checking Facebook and the discussion forums. By 12:30 I've gotta go and hook up with my carpool buddy. From 1:45-10:30 I'm at work. I have a cubicle with a computer. They have the computers set up so that we can check Email and other Internet sites.... but not Facebook for the discussion forums. Facebook has that relatively new feature such that you don't have to be on Facebook itself to reply to status update posts, but not messages. So on my breaks I'll check in on Email. I can read notifications.I just can't do anything with them, unless they're just replies.

Yesterday my 20 year old moved out in order to go to SUNY at Buffalo. He took his computer with him. So now I effectively have no computer at home to use. I can't use my wife's laptop unless it's some sort of an emergency. Facebook and discussion forums, unfortunately, do not constitute and emergency. I can gp to the library - when it's open - like this morning, but the library computers are horrible. They got new ones in, with updated software, a few years ago. So for a time their computers were pretty quick. but things have deteriorated and it takes ~half the time waiting for a page to load up or change to another page. I was there for 70 minutes and got very little accomplished.

I also work at Home Depot on the weekends. Theyhave computers in the training room. But they also filter sites. Facebook is filtered, as is Email. Ironically, I can go onto the discussion forums.

My wife has been talking about getting a Dell computer at a discount, with low monthly payments. But until she spings for it, I won't be using Facebook or the forums much. So that's my life with computers. Email affords me the most amount of exposure, so that's why I requested that you pull my email from my profile page.

What about getting a second hand computer?
I got enough spare parts laying around for at least 2 fast enough for anything but playing the newest games, i can't be the only one that has that.

or check with the local technical college, ours usually sells complete "refurbished" units for 100 or less (take 3 donated junkers, make one that is rather decent... then sell those to raise funds for student projects etc),

I know of two people that went that route and were extremely happy with their puter.... and it helps the students at the same time

Av

Things will get better, until then I'll miss your comments!

Craigslist & Freecycle are 2 other options. I know around here that you can get almost any size CRT-type monitor for free since people are switching to flat screens.

or check with the local technical college, ours usually sells complete "refurbished" units for 100 or less (take 3 donated junkers, make one that is rather decent... then sell those to raise funds for student projects etc),

I know of two people that went that route and were extremely happy with their puter.... and it helps the students at the same time

Av

Yes, the University I work for does this as well. This is fairly typical as they phase out computer labs, which happens all the time.

xvart.

Good ole State U of NY. :)

Back