What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plants arrived dead after two weeks of waiting

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
This is the last time I order from this nursery.

DeadPinguicula3.jpg

SickDrosera1.jpg

SickPlants1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The drosera may be salvagable.. what kind is it?

The drosera may be salvagable.. what kind is it?

It's a Capensis Alba. It's difficult to see from pictures, but the growing point is dead. I took root cuttings hoping to salvage the plant. The Pinguicula is completely dead.

Think he'll make good on the transaction?

Contact him immediately.
He does have a DOA policy of replacements/refunds, and with the tracking number, any holdups should be apparent, although the pictures are really all the proof he needs.
He may not get back to you immediately, since he does have a day job, but I've placed countless orders with him and the two times things have gone wrong, he's made them right.

Ouch, I've been disappointed by venders from various sites, fleabay and private transactions, but never have had a DOA like that ping. Hope seller makes good on this for you.

the capensis isn't dead it is jest going thru extreme shock
I would plant it up and see what happens the ping may be salvagable also
keep them both in shade for a month and see what happens
direct sun right now will kill them for sure
Lois

He didn't make good when I got dead stuff so...I would just not order from there again.

The sundew will make it - take leaf/root cuttings in any case, but it'll pull through. Dunno about the ping.

Im sorry that happened.... :-( When I ordered from there I was pretty lucky...

Huh. I just received my order from them today and everything looks decent. The pygmies are dormant but I suppose that makes sense given the season. The aliciae is half dead but should bounce back similar to the capensis. I ordered all my original plants from there as well and all ended up doing very well.

But that ping just looks sad. I think ordering bare root is a risk and probably will end up buying more potted plants and just take the costs. I havent yet contacted him personally so I cannot say whether or not you'll be refunded in any way. Hope you are though!

The problem is that Pings don't have much of a root system to begin with. It looks like P. primuliflora mush. If so, this ping is very sensitive to sunlight and heat. Maybe it baked in transit.

A lot of bad can happen to plants in transit to a FL address in August. I haven't ordered from him for a number of years, so maybe things have changed, but I found him to be good people and would be surprised if he doesn't make it right. Unless he limits claims on shipments to a place like FL this time of year. I think some orchid growers do.

ive got a few capensis to get rid of ,need to thin before they choke out the pings

Last edited:
Looks cooked. I'm holding off shipping some critters until the weather evens out on both my and the receivers end looks like Next Monday/Tuesday will be the start of a perfect week for both our locations. Otherwise this time of year I would get some cold packs and add them to shipping since delivery trucks are almost never heated or air conditioned.

I have received some cool growing orchids in the last couple weeks during our heat wave they all made it but all the blooms and spikes were toast. I have noticed Pings in general don't seem to ship well unpotted probably because as someone said because they have such minimal root systems.

I have ordered from that guy years ago and everything has been fine never had any DOAs but I don't generally buy Pings either. He doesn't seem to have the exotic Nep & other botanical species he used to anymore so I haven't been back to him in years.

It's a Capensis Alba. It's difficult to see from pictures, but the growing point is dead. I took root cuttings hoping to salvage the plant. The Pinguicula is completely dead.

I was going to guess regular capensis. Looks awefully red to be Alba. Why didn't you just get on my SASE list for a free Alba instead of paying for one? If you don't get it replaced, let me know. I've got a couple extra stamps here and can send you one. The one's I've been sending out are about that same size. Sorry about the ping, I've seen my fair share of that same thing this week. :-(

I emailed the nursery the minute after making this thread. I still haven't heard back from them.

I'd give him a little time to respond. He scaled back his operation a few years back when he had to take a real job and might not be as prompt to reply to emails anymore. I hope he hasn't changed otherwise and that you'll get the plants you want, with a bonus to make up for the doomed shipment. He used to include a free S. oreophila or jonesii for anyone who asked for one.

I'm still waiting to hear from the nursery

He might just be a little behind things at the moment. I received an email saying my order was shipped last Saturday when I received the plants the day before ???

my offer still stands want some free while you wait? I just need postage.

Back