What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

macro lens question part deux, Sigma 105mm vs. Canon 100mm

Whoa :0o:
Incredible shots, Butch!!

I can already tell I like B&H....

Monday - shipping notices with tracking numbers... items to arrive mid week via UPS
Later that evening a personal email from one of the sale reps in response to a question of mine

Very nice source indeed.

Butch, I have dealt with B&H for perhaps fifteen years, especially for underwater equipment, and cannot recommend them for, in terms of their knowledgeability and service; and I am glad that things worked out well.

Nice early effort with the photos . . .

I am not use to being able to be so far away, my goodness this lens is nice.

Thanks Liz :)

David, at one point I was starting to worry.... They issued a refund instead of a replacement. When i contacted them they said there were no more in stock. That worried me.... but they told me to hold on for just a sec.... about 5 mins later they came back and said, we've found one and it will be on 2nd day air.

This one looks freaking new.... I think there is a way to check it's "odometer" but dunno how yet
Butch

welcome to the macro club.

The only funny experience I had -- for one unaccustomed to such holidays -- with B&H, was an issue one September some years back, when I tried to contact them -- and they were closed for a week due to Rosh Hashanah. They have a quite elaborate holiday closure schedule . . .

I had to wait through Rosh Hashanah too.... Sept is just full of Jewish holidays. Not the best month to order from them LOL

Thanks Larry :)

Looking good :)
I can't rlly reccomend a cpl for macro shots though.
Usually there's not enough light allrdy to make the shots i want and a cpl only makes it darker.
Overexposure etc is easily fixed in a program like camera raw (if you shoot in raw mode, it wont rlly help if you shoot jpegs)

yes, thanks tal.... I figured with the bee it would have helped with the reflections, but Ive got a lot to learn

Butch

I'd try with a cheap one first, so far i've not been impressed with my cpl with anything other then landscape shots.

ummm maybe too late for that Tal :p

I wanted a nice one for fall foliage shots, so i ordered a Hoya Pro1 a couple days ago
not the most expensive by far, but not the cheapest by far neither

Ah ok then its too late.
Got one of those too for my smaller lenses.

Very nice!! I'm most impressed with your bee. I'm yet to do that well! :)

Tal, whats your opinion of the Pro1?

Thanks Crissy :)

and woohoo, camera's odometer is 141 (had to download a little utility to read it)
and probably 60ish of those have been mine

:)

I havent used it that much, it doesnt fit most of my lenses.
So far i've found that it does help a lot when shooting landscape pics with very bright sun/sky.
Other then that the only thing it did for me was make stuff darker.
I've tried the rotating thing once or twice, but i've never seen any difference.
Im going to need a new one for my new lens wich has 72mm thread, gonna go for a cheap one this time.
One more thing, theres some weird coating on there wich makes it very hard to clean with just water and random cloth (tshirt or something)
Unless its really absorbing, you will get lots of stripes on it.

I think the rotating thing goes back to the days of linear pl filters, (thinking back to my 35mm SLR days)
I just assumed that with circular that was an obsolete technique

yeah I had read that about the coating

It still works, rotating it influences how much light it blocks.
You can check it out by holding it between you and a mirror and then look through it while you turn the ring.

SPectacular toys and pics mate. I can't get over that 100mm macro lens. Top of the class. :D

V, Yann.... thank you mates, lotta bang for the buck IMHO but still a major investment.

I'd been window shopping for years :p

Av

Last edited:
Back