What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

macro lens question part deux, Sigma 105mm vs. Canon 100mm

Well my desires have slightly busted my budget restraints...
I've narrowed my choices down to these two macro lenses.

Each option seems very popular and both are within $30USD of each other.
To be honest, I'm pretty much set on my choice but don't want to taint the TF feedback waters.

Sigma 105mm Macro

Canon 100mm Macro

I'd like to make my order next week sometime..

Camera choice... well for the money the Refurbished Canon XSI seems the best bang for the buck... but it was a hard decision.
The refurb Nikon 5000 was tempting, but their refurb units don't have near as good customer satisfaction record.

While both manufacturers are excellent and each have their strengths and weaknesses the Nikon refurb dept (or subcontractor) seems to have some major quality control issues.

So..... Sigma 105mm Macro vs. Canon 100mm Macro
opinions?... comments?.... advice?

Thanks in advance,
Av

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

oops Mods please move post

doh!!

I have friends who swear by Canon; and if you can afford that lens, I'd go that route . . .

I have made that choise in the past, i chose for the sigma, dont remember why.
Maybe it was cheaper and you get a padded lens bag and hood with it.

I have the Sigma 105mm for my Sony DSLR and it take nice crisp pictures.

The Sigma was more then $30.00 difference to the Sony macro lens which is why I bought the Sigma lens. I'd say for only $30.00 difference buy the Canon.

When I did my research it I looked at the Sony / Nikon / Canon / DSLR cameras.
Nikon was the first to drop off the list.

It was a tough choice between Canon and Sony. I eventually went with the Sony for the Steady-shot built into the camera body. Any lens you put on the camera now has this ability. Canon does offer steady-shot, but it's built into the lenses. It typically added $150 to $200 more to the price for a lens with that feature.

I'd choose the Canon. Canon does make some garbage lenses but, based on a few minutes of research, this seems to be one that lives up to the Canon tradition. I have Canon equipment too (although I seem to have lost my interest in photography) and can't imagine putting another lens on a Canon camera. That said, I wouldn't put some of Canon's lenses on a Canon camera either. But you've picked out what seems to be a winner at the price.

Canon mate. First party lenses are expensive, but in someways they are a bit better at wide open apertures. BTW great choice mate. I myself have a 60mm macro as u probably know...but if I have the choice...my next lens will be the 105mm micro nikkor. Some truly fantastic things are possible with these lenses.

I have the canon, fantastic lens. Once you're hooked on macro, you'll want even more magnification.

Thanks for all the feedback

Confirmation is nice... :)
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside hehehehehe

I don't think I could have gone wrong with either lens, we have members on both sides of the fence taking pics I could only drool over. But I had pretty much decided on the Canon a few days ago.

The deed is done, ordered early this morning!

B&H Photo
  • Canon Refurbished XSI kit with 18x55mm lens
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro (USA)
  • Panasonic Gold 4 gig Class 10 SDHC ( I know, but I can bump up in size later... the price was great)

Wally World
  • Canon Rebel Starter kit (Rebel carrying case, spare Canon battery and Canon UV Filter)

I had considered a few vendors, B&H has been around since 1972 and have an excellent reputation and an A+ BBB rating. That pretty much sealed the deal. There are a few vendors out there with lower pricing but most have very shady reputations, PO Boxes and no BBB affiliation.

The starter kit was 20$ cheaper at wally world dot com then anywhere else

Come on UPS LOL

The deed is done, ordered early this morning!
Congratulation! (... as envious drool ooozes into keyboard...)

....spare Canon battery...
Good choice. When I got my point & shoot several years ago, I picked up a spare battery at a huge discount - figuring that the batteries were all the same ... :-)) Such a silly / stupid conclusion. The off-brand always exhausted 2-3 times faster than the original and after about 1.5 years refused to even hold a charge - real bargain!!

I had considered a few vendors, B&H has been around since 1972 ...
I've ordered from the quasi-shady dealers (just not as big of names as B&H) and done ok. However, I've since been to B&H in NYC several times & have been impressed. It's a real store w/ real people - & in NYC, there are 100's or 1000's of stores with folks who will tell you anything to get a sale. The B&H guys usually let me take my time, ask lots of silly questions and play with all the potential new toys. Although there is a diversity of knowledge, there are a fair number who have a pretty good clue about the stuff they sell. Also, zero sales pressure. While most of the guys were fairly helpful, there is no sense that they care at all whether you make a purchase or are simply window shopping. There are also more employees in the store than I have ever seen (actually kinda odd).

So what happened to cause you to double the focal length? Weren't you 'set' on something shorter? :crazy:

Btw, a lot of canon accessories are a lot cheaper from non canon manufacturers.
And not always less in quality.

Ron,

I was set originally on an 7-800USD budget....
but ended up being 1100USD

DOH!! hehehehehe, oh well.... Ive been looking at these for years... My last SLR's were a Chinon and Canon AE-1
(showing my age LOL)

Tali... very true, In my case the Sigma 105 was a very close second...

Butch

I wasnt talking about lenses, i was more thinking of batterygrips, occular extenders, shutter remotes, lens hoods and small stuff like that.
For that stuff you pay 2-6 times as much if there's a canon brand on it for no good reason :p

ahhh yes, very good point!

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

I have the canon, fantastic lens. Once you're hooked on macro, you'll want even more magnification.

Now that is confirmation :hail:

You're a bad influence Larry :lol:

I ordered the exact same lens from the exact same place a few years ago. You'll be impressed with the lens. I had been using the cheaper lenses for quite a while before getting this one and the difference is amazing. I say you made a good choice. I figured if I was going to spend THAT much money on a lens, I might as well spend a little more and get the really nice one.

Now just to get myself a digital SLR so I can actually use the lens more... I'll keep dreaming for now.

I think that was the right choice for a lens and for where to get it.

The first time I ordered from B&H, I chose them just because of the price. I've ordered from them several times since then and wouldn't order from anywhere else even if I could save a few $. Maybe I'd order elsewhere if I could save a lot but it hasn't happened yet. They have great customer service too, which was tested when a camera I had bought for someone failed within a few days. They came through and quickly too. When I checked the dates I realized they had sent the replacement before they could have received the original.

As for all the people working for them, you'll notice a strong Orthodox Jewish presence and there's a bus that carries employees back and forth to an Orthodox community north of the city. They're closed from Friday evening through Saturday evening for the Jewish Sabbath and are also closed on a long list of Jewish holidays. The website remains open, but doesn't accept orders at those days/times. It's a huge business that has retained the quirks of a small business.

I order all my photography toys from B&H.

Been in the store in NY... I think there was a drool trail out the store. LOL

I stop in there every so often as it's right by Penn Station. Place sure is strange, especially with the conveyor belts everywhere and how you buy something... but they have a lot of great stuff in there! More than just cameras too!
J & R down by City Hall is a great place for electronics too! Gotta refurb laptop from there and Walkman's and whatnot

I can already tell I like B&H....

Monday - shipping notices with tracking numbers... items to arrive mid week via UPS
Later that evening a personal email from one of the sale reps in response to a question of mine

Very nice source indeed.

Canon's are what my dreams are made of.
You made the right choice, Butch ;)

Update

Well after a little issue with the first camera shipped and having to exchange it, all is now well. The replacement arrived yesterday and I just walked outside and took my first few pics. Obviously, I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing yet, most settings are on auto. But that makes it all the more impressive to me. The possibilities are amazing, all i can say is wow this is nice!

(Forgive the overexposure and lack of CPL filter.. I'll get better :) )

yellowmossrose.jpg

100% crop
yellow100crop.jpg

bee.jpg

100% crop
bee100crop.jpg

Depth of field @ f2.8
dof.jpg

:banana2:

Last edited:
Back