What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water!

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
This is my stash in the garage:

Picture041-2.jpg

HA! I'm not the only one fond of Wal-Mart distilled! :D

Here's mine. Having to stare at it drives my dad crazy.
DSCF5339.jpg

Is there any advantage to using their distilled water over their "drinking water" which is supposedly RO? Just curious.

Is there any advantage to using their distilled water over their "drinking water" which is supposedly RO? Just curious.
I think I tested Walmart drinking water @000PPM. It's pretty clean.
I'm having a hard time keeping up with watering because of this heat and sun here in Maine. I hope we get tons of rain this weekend.
Zero

Good to know! Thanks!

I just collect gallon containers and fill 'em with RO

Drinking water, while often purified through reverse osmosis filtering can sometimes have salts and other minerals added for taste. Read the label carefully.

Last edited:
I use the distilled as a monthly soil flush and R/O the rest of the time. Now that I have critters with the plants I don't use any fertilizers (critter poo does it's doody there) but I still do the distilled flush out of habit and the plants don't seem to mind.

Does nobody use one or two larger containers and put them in smaller for use? I have two 5 gallon "Culligan water machine" jugs for the bulk of water storage then I siphon out into two 1 gallon jugs for day to day use in the hand mister, garden sprayer and crab pond refills. The crab water contains a minute trace of Iodine (1 drop per 5 gallons) and I'm not sure what if anything it would do to CPs so I keep it separate and never put the crab pond water in the mister.

I just collect gallon containers and fill 'em with RO

Same here... only this the purge water / expired water from WFI (Water For Injection)... the water that gets tossed.

Hi Jim!
All my water is rain water. Despite the VERY, VERY dry summer I've been lucky here in eastern N.Y. I have a 30 gallon plastic garbage can full as a main backup and collect rain mainly in 5, 3 and 1 gallon buckets. I had to go to the backup ONCE this summer for a few gallons. I fill up 1 gallon milk jugs as well and try to keep at least 3-4 in the house for the inside CPs and other plants.

Great (and funny!) thread! The things we do for our CPs!

Tom

I store mine in three and five gallon buckets.

Don't tell my wife... but there's ~65 gallon jugs, between the garage and the living room!

Back