What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flickr photo gallery users?

Hey guys I was wondering how many of you are using Flickr to host a gallery of your photos? It's free supposedly and some people have over 100 pages of pics. Is there any drawback to using Flickr as a place to have a photo gallery? Will it allow me to link images to forums? Will signing up with Flickr allow yahoo to invade my PC?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone using it or why you are not and are using something else.

I use Flickr, if you have a yahoo email account all you do is sign in with that. Really easy to use, I like it better than Imageshack. Only thing when you look for the code, you need to ask it for the BBCode and look for the correct tags.

So you can't just get the image URL like www.---------.jpg and paste it in the add image dialog box but something else?

If I sign up do I start getting harassed by yahoo daily? I've worked hard to get yahoo toolbars and things off my PCs in the past and am worried about giving them an open door to waltz through... but I do like the gallery format.

I use both flickr and photobucket. I prefer photobucket because I find the interface a little easier to use. Other prefer flickr. Both are fine for sharing images on boards like this. Imageshack tends to be slow. Photobucket has options to always show the image tags for embedding photos or links for boards, messages or email or you can tag multiple images and create the tags for you.

You can always use Andrew's image host. It doesn't create the tags for you but you can paste in the appropriate URLs with the "insert image" button on the board message editor.

If you are a "thank you" member you can attach images directly to the board server. There is more of a file size limit over the other hosts though.

See:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107220

Edit: There are options on photobucket and flickr as to what email you get from them. I almost never get email from flickr or photobucket.

I use flickr.
No real limits.
Only when you have a free account you can only access and show your 200 most recent pics, but if you ever get a paid acc the older pics come back.
For ease of posting i use a website that has some script to generate bb code: http://cmp.315design.com/tools/flickr/.
With that you just select the set the pics are in and click the pics you want links of.
I don't even notice it has anything to do with yahoo.
Had to make an email acc but thats it, i dont even use it.

Thanks guys, I do have my own domains where I can host pics, I just liked the Flickr gallery format. So you can only do 200 pics on a free account? That's where they get ya! LOL

Perhaps I'll spend some time creating a gallery on my site cos I really like Flickrs "flip through" style once you get to the individual gallery images with title & captions, etc.

Back