What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Spanish Moss is poisonous?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Hey folks, I received a nice Bulbophyllum medusae today and it was packed in live Spanish Moss (Tilandsia usneoides). I would like to use the stuff in my vivariums it's in nice long gray/green chains but I seem to recall reading on either the dart frog forum or other places that Spanish Moss is poisonous. Is that true, what is poisonous about it?

Thanks for any input! :)

Wonder if there's a moss forum out there somewhere?

It's not ideal to use as a medium. It does not retain the same amount of water as peat or sphagnum does. If you're going to use it as decoration, that's another story.

When hanging from trees (fresh) it generally harbors a large number of hazards - like chiggers, mites and ticks. Maybe that's what the forum was referring to?

Are you effin' serious? Chiggers and such hanging above your head? Where did you find this information?

It should be easy to grow in your terrs swords. It grows in Hawaii like a weed. We just put a little in some telephone wire, and hung it from the trees, sprayed it with the hose when we watered the lawn.
It's not poisonous.

Are you effin' serious? Chiggers and such hanging above your head? Where did you find this information?

Fff, this Tilandsia grows in chigger-infested bogs, why wouldn't the chiggers hide there?
I think it refers to the amount of insecticide they use to remove the nasties. Non-sprayed plants are non-toxic.

Back