What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome place and awesome pics :)

Do you happen to know what the fern is in the bottom of this pic ?
It looks like Blechnum Spicant to me.
SANY0712.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of fern that is. I haven't brushed up on my fernology lately. :p I'll get back to you when I'm at home and have my field guide handy.

They are quite common though!

Dex,
Thanks for a stunning & educational snapshot of a part of the world I've never been ... :hail:

... but limited logging means there is an interest in preserving it as ppl that use the wood want it to be around for a long time.....if a living thing has amonetary value there is alot more interest in keeping it around long term........
While the consumers of resources want them to be around, the foresight of those who provide them (loggers, miners, etc) are frequently much shorter term. :down:

Consider this

Rattler you make a good point regarding market and demand of tree related products. Unfortunately you fail to acknowledge the real problem. The problem is not that we need and use tree related products. The real problem is that we as a living species of this blue planet cannot figure out a way to live in harmony with our ecosystem. Instead of harmony, we say that we need and use tree products so don't complain if you live in a wood framed house, or wipe our bottoms with toilet paper, etc. What we ought to be doing is thinking progressively and creating products that are sustainable. Thusly we would limit the usage of semi-sustainable natural resources to only the times when we really need to use them.

Xtratuff, you're spot on! That's why I wipe my bum with only red LFS. :D

Glad you enjoyed it RL7836! And I couldn't agree more whole-heartedly with you.

And Taliesin, after reviewing the field guide I think you're probably correct about the fern being Blechnum spicant. You obviously know your stuff ;) I was going to say sword fern.

Tnx for looking it up :)
I kinda collect nice ferns :D
I allrdy got a small Blechnum Spicant but the ones on your pictures looked so much nicer so i wasnt sure if its the same :)

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Tnx for looking it up :)
I kinda collect nice ferns :D
I allrdy got a small Blechnum Spicant but the ones on your pictures looked so much nicer so i wasnt sure if its the same :)

Well there is no lack of great ferns in this neck of the woods maybe I'll do a fern pic thread someday just for you. :D

Of course, I've gone on many more hikes so I'll just keep posting pictures of the area in this thread.

I saw this tree on the side of the road and couldn't help but stop and get up close to it, and see what the woods behind it are like. This is THE largest yellow cedar I've seen.
DSCN5528.jpg

So gnarly, so majestic.
DSCN5529.jpg

It's very big around (for a yellow cedar)
DSCN5503.jpg

DSCN5504.jpg

False Lily of the Valley
DSCN5505.jpg

Interesting ground plants
DSCN5506.jpg

Bear-bread
DSCN5512.jpg

Just some forest
DSCN5513.jpg

Evidence of bark being stripped by natural causes as well as by natives for cedar bark weaving
DSCN5514.jpg

An unimpressive mushroom
DSCN5515.jpg

Just a tree
DSCN5516.jpg

This is as colorful as fall gets here. The berry bushes turning color.
DSCN5517.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Interesting fungus.
DSCN5518.jpg

A cute little fern
DSCN5521.jpg

Some sphagnum bog - home to hundreds of dormant D. rotundifolia
DSCN5522.jpg

Bog cranberries in their prime. SO good.
DSCN5523.jpg

More evidence of bark being stripped on yellow cedars for cedar weaving.
DSCN5524.jpg

Fungus? lichen, I think?
DSCN5525.jpg

I have a thing for cute little brooks, this one is no exception
DSCN5526.jpg

An impressive roadside lichen formation
DSCN5527.jpg

Then just on a single bolder in front of my school, there are multiple kinds of fungus or lichen or whatever these are.
DSCN5502.jpg

DSCN5501.jpg

DSCN5500.jpg

DSCN5499.jpg

And a very popular recreational lake.
DSCN5492.jpg

A very big Sitka Spruce.
DSCN5489.jpg

They are all around
DSCN5488.jpg

Bear tracks
DSCN5483.jpg

Tried sneaking up on this Blue Heron
DSCN5479.jpg

But it got away!
DSCN5481.jpg

Canopy Carnage from the 100mph+ winds earlier that week
DSCN5477.jpg

Where salmon go to die.
DSCN5475.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

DSCN5476.jpg

Large trees all around
DSCN5474.jpg

A good creek to go trout fishing
DSCN5471.jpg

And for those of us without waders, a perfect vantage point
DSCN5470.jpg

And a delicious Dolly Varden trout
DSCN5472.jpg

And this was just feet down my driveway. No electricity at my house and I certainly didn't make it to class that day!
DSCN5469.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures. :)

Just a few more pics I took recently.
DSCN5624.jpg

More crazy lichen or fungus, or whatever this is!
DSCN5615.jpg

DSCN5616.jpg

A beautiful sphagnum bog
DSCN5617.jpg

DSCN5618.jpg

With a fast flowing creek, which was bordered by still edible and just ripe high-bush cranberries.
DSCN5619.jpg

DSCN5622.jpg

The view from up here is amazing.
DSCN5627.jpg

If you can ignore the shotgun shells
DSCN5628.jpg

Jeez...I missed the page 3 updates too?! Man...that's just so beautiful....I love it :) Thank you so much for sharing.

wow. i love the feeling of serentiy that i get just from looking at the 1st 4th and 5th pictures. =] wonderful.

Thanks guys I'm glad you liked them. :D I literally have hundreds of pictures, just not enough time to upload them all.

Back