What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone here do for fun/hobbies outside of CP's?

Thought it'd be interesting to find out how everyone spends their time :)

As for myself, I spend most of my time working 40 hrs a week. But when I'm not at work and tending to my plants I'll either be watching a movie, spending time outdoors (hiking/fishing ect), or playing XBox Live lol.

On that note if anyone ever wants to play Reach or Call of Duty, hit me up. Gamer Tag is Squeaky Peat.

Of course that all changes once winter hits and I'll usually spend my free time snowboarding. And if I manage to get off at 5:00, I'll usually head up to the mountain and do some night skiing until 10:00.

So what about you guys? CP's can't take up all of our time :beer:

Does orchid raising count as hobbies other than cps? Seriously, outside of working 40 plus hours a week and tending to the plants; cps, orchids, herbs and veggies I love photography, birding and I'm a die hard renny/pirate. We usually start the pirate invasion/ renn faire rounds in April and don't end until November. I also make jewelry and read a lot. I used to do a lot of horse shows/trail rides and work my dog in agility but physically i can't do that anymore..thus more plants.

Well there is so much more to me then CP's! I too do the 40 hour slave labor ;). Next to caring for all my plants (CP's and others) I have 5 reptiles to care for. I love to camp, fish, hunt, target practice, just about anything outdoors (went whale watching over the weekend). I just started getting into paintball too! SOOOOOOOO much fun!

Other then that I love video games too. I have the PS3. If you have a PS3 you can friend me at my tag (Frilleon).

Wow, that sounds like a pretty cool time you have :)

My CPs are by far, my biggest time expense. :lol:
I'm a student for pre-dental hygiene, so alot of my time is spent in school or studying/doing homework.
And I have my precious ball python, Sheba. I like spending my spare time with her.
I also have a small fishtank that I like admiring.
I'm a big Nintendo girl (Mario and Pokemon mostly)
I do various things like Yoga and Belly-Dancing.
I write or I draw when I'm in the mood.
I'm also very passionate about conserving the environment and animal rights. And no, I'm not a PETA wingnut. Although subtly spreading my message takes up a great deal of my time as well.

But otherwise I appreciate a calm evening at home by myself instead of actually going out and doing stuff and socializing.
Though I do love the occasional outing with my friends :)

Last edited:
Work. Work. Work. I work about 40-45 hours during the business day but am on call every other week. Sucks getting called at 3AM on Saturday morning. This goes up during month end, quarter end, and year end!

Aside from that, I am a non-profit chauffer for 3 children. I would charge them, but I would only be charging myself. They repay me with hugs and kisses so it's all good. Also am an amateur sports videographer. I use the term amateur loosely because I suck!

Also a math, science, social studies, and english tutor. I better brush up on my calculus because my daughter is smart. Don't think I'll have to worry about the oldest one, but I love him just the same. :)

hunting, fishing, camping, hiking.......growing fruit and flowers outside.....

Writing my thesis...I guess that's my biggest hobby!

I've been playing ultimate frisbee for over 7 years now. I've been fairly active my whole life, but never truly LOVED a sport as much as I love ultimate. If I ever had to choose between CPs and ultimate...I don't know what I'd do!

I'm also a knitter, taught by my grandmother when I was about 6. I started knitting a LOT as an undergrad, just as a stress relief and creative outlet. Recently a friend taught me to spin yarn using a drop spindle...I think it's kinda cool that I can make clothes from scratch!

I dabble in lots of other little hobbies too, but those are the big ones...

I like building small analog circuits, so if any of you are good at it, or know any resources you've found helpful, please PM me!

Right now I'm stuck on transistors. Not quite sure how exactly to use them...but realize that they are essential.

PAINTING!
PaintedSarr1.jpg

Among MANY other things... :-D

Reply: Thanks! (Although not one of my better works, thanks anyway.)
Yea, an early watercolor.
I may post something more up to date sometime. (Much better than this was.)
(am a typical artist who doesn't like his own work!)

Last edited:
That painting is very good! Is it watercolor?

Aquariums, play the trumpet, study (yeah right!)

Wow GrowinOld, that painting is fantastic. I'm really digging the use of color!

And it seems there's quite a few photography people here, CP's and cameras must go hand in hand ;)

Thanks for this great topic! No better way to learn about people than through what they love.
I'm a musician involved with vintage songs, traditional American old time and bluegrass, celtic, delta blues and other traditional acoustic music. I also write songs and poems, am a crystal collector and fanatic, garden, chase women, walk dogs, and have long since given up my Earthly body for a virtual existence in cyberspace where I visit friends worldwide via face book, photograph beautiful things, do beadwork, teach guitar, post and moderate on forums, study taxonomy, cook, solicit seeds for redistrubition and research. In between I read, watch movies, and look for work. The looking for work is TONS O FUN!

I am a lowrider enthusiast (not a builder yet as I don't have the $, but I do have a project car in Phoenix waiting for me), however I fancy all custom cars, especially ones with custom paint.
I am also going to school part time, trying to add web associate to my degree as a graphic designer.
I work part time for a lowrider video company, and am looking for another job to support this hobby and build my car.
Finally I am a custom airbrush artist, and mainly prefer to paint surfaces that can accept automotive paints and finishes.

Great topic! I've always wondered what all the other insectivorous plant nuts are like socially.

I am a full time student and part time employee, but mostly I love creating, recording and performing music and learning to play many many different instruments is my passion. A lot of my free time is usually spent hiking in semi-remote places, picking berries, photographing trees and fungi and looking for amphibians. I spend a lot of my time preaching the virtues of recycling, lower consumption, eating right, and biodiversity.

I also love playing whatever sport needs to be played! Driving fast, too, is somewhat (unfortunately) a past time of mine.

Professionally, I'm a medical illustrator and do 3D animation.

When I'm not taking care of my CPs and other plants...

I love to cook and bake. I grew up on the west coast and could never get decent Sourdough bread when I was in grad school in Dallas, or, on the east coast after I moved to Connecticut. So, I got a "San Francisco" sourough culture and bake my own. It took a while to perfect. It also makes a killer pizza dough. Nothing like a hot baked pizza with garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, and basil fresh from our garden.

I spend time with our dog and sometimes go hiking or rollerblading with her. I'll soon be spending a lot more time doing that as we are planning to get a 2 year old rescued Pharoah Hound.

I also play and practice bluegrass banjo. I played guitar as a kid and still have my Takamine 12 string I bought in Jr High - but I just love the sound of the ol' 5-string so that's what I'm focusing on. When I lived in Dallas I had 5 lessons with the 1985 national banjo champion. About 2 years ago I found those old cassette tapes my teacher made of the lessons so I took the banjo out of the closet, polished it up, put on new strings, built my own bridge for it and started up again. I picked up a used mandolin this summer and I'm learning that too. It's fabulous since it's small, sounds beautiful and it can be played quietly - like when my wife is asleep. The banjo is so loud it would wake the whole neighborhood.

I found out at the NECPS show dinner on Saturday that Rich Sivertsen plays a Martin guitar. We may just have to get a jam session going next year at the show and have a little live entertainment going on in the greenhouse...

LOL! I work 7 days a week. Alas, CP's is all I can do. My childhood hobby was tropical fish.

Tamlin and Andrew will prolly thump me for forgetting these but ill blaim it on the pain meds :D

i also have a real interest in gem stones....have a decent collection of cut and uncut precious and semiprecious gemstones.....also off-roading takes up a chunk of free time, i have an interest in Jeeps like my 77 CJ5, would really like a Kaiser M715 for an around town work truck and off-roading around here.....

I like to sculpt though I have not had time/inspiration in the past couple years. Recently I bought new clay and have been trying to get back into it. Guess I'd have to get offa the computer to actually do new stuff!

Here's some old stuff shot with a camera even worse than the one I have now:

WB: Michigan J Frog (super sculpey)
michiganfrog1.jpg

Dragonlance: Dragon Highlord (super sculpey)
highlord9.jpg

Cannibal Corpse (band) zombie statuette (super sculpey)
cannibalcorpse.jpg

Warhammer old world: Beastman (super sculpey)
goat2.jpg

Necromantia: Vampire lord (super sculpey)
necromantia.jpg

I also like to draw in an 80s skateboard style. I setup a shop at boardpusher to do skateboard decks but haven't released any designs yet, here are two potential/WIP deck sketches though:

jollyriot.jpg

orchelmet.jpg

Back