What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're in the WRONG yard!!

It's 2am on Sept. 28th.. and I just chased some punk from my greenhouse, over the fence, and through the neighborhood yards. I lost him in the shadows.. BUT:

If anyone has any info on someone planning/attempting to steal from me, I've got $200 and a lowii for a name and address. And I'll handle it from there!

DUDE!!! That sucks man. Have you considered cameras? I have several of them at my house.

Oh man, that's scary! Good luck catching that slimeball, and I hope someone is able to find the info to help you.

You think people are really out to get your Neps? :S Maybe I am naive but I just can't imagine carnivorous plants being that widely sought after to warrant Breaking and Entering. Hope you find the hoodlum, though!

Dex-
It could happen. Lest we forget what happened to Tony P.
It's why people the The Bog Man don't even disclose the specific location of his garden.
He recants:
"“I sent two rare seedlings to a collector,” Sacilotto says. “He had his greenhouse broken into, and the plants were stolen. Another fellow in California confronted a thief after catching him on a security camera—and the thief proceeded to threaten the collector and his family with bodily harm. The plants are as rare and valuable as any orchid. They make people do strange things."

Travis might not be sitting on a female Edwardsiana or Pitopangii, but he's still got a very big, respectable collection that would be a feast for someone that's vile enough that they'd steal.
It should also be considered that it could be a misguided druggie that saw the greenhouse and assumed it'd be a pot operation, not..you know...insectivorous plants.

Either way, here's hoping they leave you and your plants alone.

Heres what you need. These are some pics of my Beautiful guns and Knives.

A-4.jpg

a-96.jpg

Heres how I love to treat NO GOOD PUNKS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0&feature=related

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmijlOwnXuE&feature=related

Did my last post get deleted?? :scratch:

I had made a response pertaining to what Liz said, but maybe it was removed because it was talking about the naughty plant. Which is still legal in Michigan.

Anyways, I just wanted to reiterate the important part of that post.
The indoor GH is now inside behind locked doors.
It only took a couple of hours to move out the plants, break down the GH, rebuild it indoors, and move the plants back in. I even set up a space heater on a timer to get a warmer daytime temp. Figured it'd be perfect with the cool 50* nights we're having.

DUDE!!! That sucks man. Have you considered cameras? I have several of them at my house.

This is my mother's house. I'm only here in the city for about 5 more weeks. Just waiting for my new house to finish being built. Then it's back to the piece and quiet of the country.

"your in the wrong yard"

dude...

YOU'RE

Otherwise....

Man, that stinks. Good thing you found him while he was still there...no telling what you might have come home to.

Grammar is important..
people should learn it, and not be offended when they are told they are doing it wrong.
(unless they WANT to continue to look stupid..if so, your choice.)
icon-shrug.gif

Scot

Who cares?!?!? Did I spell that right?
Sorry.. I had a rough night.

Perfect!

And Scotty, in his defense....I did KINDA yell at him....what with the size = 7.....

I just didn't want him to miss it, is all :angel:

Who cares?!?!? Did I spell that right?
Sorry.. I had a rough night.

Spelling 100. Valid punctuation 0.

Being broken into or having things stolen, especially things you cherish and have spent time raising, like plants, is a horrible thing to go thru.
I have had similar happen myself, so I know.
But indeed as was said, they could have been looking for pot.
It is the first thing people think I am growing when they see the greenhouse or grow lights.
It is too bad you couldn't have caught him.

It does seem that it is a local however, as folks here are very unlikely to drive across states just to nab some of your collection. In other cases of theft of plants, indeed the plants were of extreme value. But in this instance we are talking about the normal growers, and I doubt anyone here on TF would be so stupid and hard up to bother driving that far or risking getting caught (or shot!). And unless the guy was carrying a few garbage bags to carry them all in, it was not a pre-thought out burglary of your collection. More like a grab what you can and run.

I would assume it is a local person who either thought you were "growing" ;) (most likely), or perhaps someone who has a grudge against you for something. (Is that a possibility?)
Or even as likely, some kid who might be simply wanting to grab a free VFT or Neps because he thinks they are cool. Kinda silly for a local to do that, unless he can grow it clandestine so YOU don't see YOUR plants in his yard! But if you have kids around the neighborhood, they will do it without thinking. (Here again, if it is a young guy or kid, they most likely thought it was smokes you were growing and wanted to do a grab and run.
I really doubt you will have to worry in the future, unless this kid is a total moron!
If nothing else, put in a motion detector spot light perhaps.

Either way, seems that besides the heat, cold, fungus gnats and mealy bugs, you also have this guy to contend with! :-O

I fixed it. It was burning my eyes.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I agree that it was probably just some neighborhood punk who thought you were growing pot. Congrats for catching him in the act...you probably scared him badly enough that he'll think twice about trying it again!!

Spelling is harder for some to get than others, especially with homonyms. It's still readable. If we're going to nitpick, you guys do a bit of convention-breaking yourselves. ;D
I have a friend whose spelling gets worse when he gets excited or aggravated. At his worst he'll start replacing vowels in three-letter words... It gets really hard to keep up. One mixed up homonym is nothing!
~Joe

That just blows my mind that there are people intelligent and interested enough to know what Nepenthes are, and that would even consider stealing one. It's not like the black market for these plants is that well developed if at all...

But yeah, I get it, someone probably thought it was weed or some other goodies.

I don't know, I think you might be underestimating the degree of weirdness that can occur in those who collect rare and endangered species. I don't remember specifics, but I've been shocked at the money involved in such dealings when I've read about them in the news.
~Joe

I don't remember specifics, but I've been shocked at the money involved in such dealings when I've read about them in the news.

+1

If we're going to nitpick, you guys do a bit of convention-breaking yourselves. ;D

+1

I am not perfect. However, I DO proofread my posts....Sometimes, when I know I've typed a lot, I will even copy it into e-mail and do a spell check.

But that's spelling.

Your and you're word usage and understanding meaning. It's like to, too and two. He spelled it right, but chose the wrong one.

And Grammar - well, if I get myself into a bind, wherein I'm not sure how to write my way out of it....I'll just highlight, delete and start over.

Well, whatever....so long as he doesn't use the bane of my existence: "very unique" ARRRRRRGGGGGG!

burning my eyes

LOL!

I am glad you and your plants are alright.

Now I will exit this thread, never to return, for fear of mistakenly typing something.

Darn it! I just know I didn't type something correctly here. Probably my liberal use of commas. LOL

I am glad you and your plants are alright.

Now I will exit this thread, never to return, for fear of mistakenly typing something.

Darn it! I just know I didn't type something correctly here. Probably my liberal use of commas. LOL

LMAO.. :-)) You crack me up..

One mixed up homonym is nothing!
~Joe

Thank you!

And unless the guy was carrying a few garbage bags to carry them all in, it was not a pre-thought out burglary of your collection. Or perhaps someone who has a grudge against you for something. (Is that a possibility?)

I went out this morning to poke around in the back a bit, and I found a bucket and a box ditched on the other side of the fence. So someone had planned on carrying quite a bit out of there.

Back