What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comic-book Nepenthes

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Just thought I'd point out a "Nepenthes" (mostly by name, as you'll see) that just appeared in my favorite comic, Girl Genius. Fair warning for anyone interested in the story; it's about eight or nine volumes in so there are a few spoilers on adjoining pages.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20101001
The comic is about an alternate history where mad scientists rule the world, and at this particular point our heroes are trying to infiltrate and take control of a sadistic, self-aware castle full of booby traps. Really worth a read for anyone who enjoys quirky sci-fi/fantasy stuff.
~Joe

Interesting how they actually call it a Nepenthes, but it more closely resembles a piranha plant from Super Mario.
Particularly, this variation:
Yoshis%20Island%20-%20Boss-620x.jpg

Whereas there's Pokemon baring a stronger resemblance to CPs but their relation is only loosely acknowledged.
victreebel.jpg

Carnivine.jpg

They're all called "fly catcher" pokemon. It's acknowledged that Carnivine looks like a Venus Flytrap, but Victreebel, for instance, isn't recognized as resembling a Nepenthes, although the description certainly says otherwise "Victreebel lures prey into its mouth with sweet-smelling scents, then clamps down, trapping it." Of course, in reality, the traps are static, but function the same.

/dork

that snes game was awsome

Cheesy. :B
Although that pixelated Mario is cool,

Last edited:
I <3 Carnivine and the whole Bellsprout line. They are sooooo cute.
I've tried to read Girl Genius, but I just couldn't get into the art style. :< That "Nepenthes" is cool though!

LOL LIME.
That's how graphics were back when I was your age :lol:

Pokemon = amazing.

Bottom line, cool concept of a man eating plant ;)

Oh man, I love Girl Genius! It is a truly well-written comic. I need to catch up on reading...I fell behind once they caught up to the Advanced Class...

Anyone here read Life of Pi? I finished it a couple weeks ago. The CP in that story made my skin crawl!

Back