What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraforum 2011 calander

i think, perhaps the easiest way to do it, is use a place like shutterfly or something like that. you can order calendars from them, just upload your photos and presto! you would have someone in charge of collecting, uploading the photos, and anyone who wanted one would just pay him/her and they could order/ship one to you. if it's to be used for fundraising, just charge more than the actual cost, with the net profit going to the charity. of course, whoever was in charge, would be responsible for the $. that's just my 2 cents.

great thoughts every one , I checked a local printer here in the roanoke area of va , and he says we may have waited a little late, I dont think so but what do i know , I strech fabrick for a liking LOL.
I somewhat agree that for this time around we should keep the design ideas to a minimum, so we can get moving ASAP, would like to see this for 2011, if we miss by a month so what . this first round could probably be January to January, with the next years calendar 2012(if this is a success) just overlapping by one month.
Im checking the web address the guy here in roanoke gave me this evening , they have many options for pre layout designs,.
Of course we can vote on a few designers to work together, if this has any success , and do it really nice next year.
Im not opposed to giving over all the design options to one person, as long as they give a few ideas, and not just one ,and all can vote on their favorite idea. if their is more than one designer here then maybe they could alternate years.
I do keep assuming this is going to be a nice thing to raise funds, and if it doesnt get to complicated it could become a yearly calendar.
All the ideas are blending so im not going to remember who said what ill just make a few comments, with out the names.
I like the idea of a 12 picture calendar, where each month folds up with next pic at the top , and the lower portion having a grid style daily calendar, large enough to make notes on each day, say 12 wide by 24 tall when open , or close to that, a bit larger or smaller would be fine.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Also we will have to have , permission to use pics. so if you want to post here if it is OK to use any of your pictures,
I'll go , all of my pictures are public and I dont care if you or any one her uses any , if any of you remember one i posted that you like, I'll put it back up ,
And please remember everybodys pics cant make it lets just enjoy what does , we see nice pics every day here. infact i have posted way too many on occasion , so im not going to add any for voting this time around, unless some one requests it.

personally, i think it would be better having a one of a kind template design rather than a dime-a-dozen. i took a glance at all their available templates---cute and homey, but not modern, bold, or CP-ish.

the amount of hard work placed into the design can up the price of the calander, and because it is well done, people are more willing to pay the higher price---provided that it is well done of course.

which leads to the next question, i saw on shutterfly options for desk and wall calendars--pursue one or the other...or both! :-D

i'll post my idea of a calendar page later tonight.

PLEASE wall if at all possible , I have very little room for a desk calander and spill lots of soda and coffee, it would be ruined on the desk LOL, but if the desk is the peoples choice I have hung desk calendars before.
way to work amph. seems you have some nice ideas on design.
I want at least two , so I can have one at work, there is my order where do i send the check.
Treasurer ?

I gotst no advice or pics, but I'd like to say it's a good idea!

the printing concepts va company best i could find , offered six pics with two months printed on each page ,
minimum of 300 coming to 1470.00 without tax, imsure we can do better and dont need to start this first year with 300 calendars , I was thinking along the lines of 75 to 100 , thoughts on the quantity we need ?

here's a mockup---this is a super rough ROUGH draft.
mockcalendar.jpg

ILIKEIT!!
I elect Jon as calendar maker.
Yus.
:love:

well...if one were to order 300, couldnt u just omit the year? unless next years a leap year?

(might be a dumb question).

@javi: that wouldn't work out cause the days of the week wouldn't be the same numbers anymore, either.

lol see, i knew it was a dumb question.

Beautiful drosera pic , and yes that exact set up would do for me, its exactly what i have in mind. I dont think we need to get too tec, happy this first time around.
Has anyone else found a printing shop , or better price? Are we going to have to buy 300? I dont think we would ever sell 300 calendars, we will end up in the red whti no significant profit to donate , in the end.

I elect amp the iron to do this too... That was a PERFECT example. But if it costs 1500 bucks to do a calendar with only six pics, that's not that easy to match..

anyone consider doing it via deviantart? we can set up a terraforum account, and then submit it as a print or calendar---the cost for printing would be free (i think) and we get paid whenever it is purchased --> proceeds go directly to my pock--i mean to a conservation agency of our choice--i suppose maybe meadowview or the like?

wow amph your right at this project thank you for taking off with this? your ideas are great:hail:
Hope we can help you out with some thing LOL. what can I do to help? any ideas on that, im your man !

I have thought about this many times, be it a on the forum thing, or through my store thing. When I did I always came to online printing services. If we can buy in bulk they're fairly cheap... at 25 12month calendars you're looking at $11.96 ea at 50, $10.00 ea. There is even built in calendar building programs on the site- you just need to provide the photos and insert them into the layout you wish to use for each month.
Andrew[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of starting with 50, we could do advance orders, say $17.50 each, which includes shipping

so before i start crunching out my photoshop magicks....i need clarification:

is there a heads up on this? is this for real? am i getting the green light? would be such a shame (especially for me :p) if we put all this hard work into it, only to find out we werent able to follow through...what site will we be using to make the calendars? i need dimension sizes.

if i do get a heads up to go with the calendar, i'll start up a thread asking for photos.

for the 12 months i would like the following, species preferred:

January: Pinguicula
February: Drosophyllum
March: Sarraceinia
April: Darlingtonia
May: Nepenthes
June: Utricularia
July: Heliamphora
August: Aldrovanda
September: Dionaea
October: Drosera
November: Byblis
December: Cephalotus

it would be nice to have photos of both plants in cultivation and in the wild.

Last edited:
:spazz:
opleaseopleaseoplease say yessssss?!!?!?!

Jon needs to make the calendar!! He does!!
I need a CP, made-by-amphirion calendar in my life next year.
NEEDS IT, I SAY!!
*panics and faints*

Im in too, so yes from me.

Back