What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autumn Wind-Storms

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Last night we had winds averaging 50 - 60 mph with gusts up to 86 mph! The power was out for 20 hours, and I'm honestly surprised that it is on at the moment. But since it is, I'll post some pics that I took on my ride into town which is less than 14 miles.

Many many things were blown over or down, including mailboxes, satellite dishes, and porta-potties. I feel bad for the sucker that has to clean that one up!
DSCN5450.jpg

Along a stretch of newly constructed road, there were many trees that were blown down.
DSCN5451.jpg

DSCN5452.jpg

DSCN5453.jpg

DSCN5454.jpg

You'll have to excuse the blurriness, I was taking these while driving.
DSCN5457.jpg

This was just an interesting bit of light coming through the clouds.
DSCN5458.jpg

And something I had never seen before, a telephone pole that was just shattered by the wind.
DSCN5455.jpg

DSCN5463.jpg

And another telephone pole that will be needing repairs.
DSCN5462.jpg

Total destruction! But this is also because a less than intelligent contractor decided to clear a hillside of trees, thus creating opportunities for the harsh winds to devastate the trees still standing, and have them block the road like these did.
DSCN5460.jpg

And this is the reason why I am surprised that the power is actually back on. This, also, is the contractor's fault. In the near future, I will be asking the local governments how he will be held responsible for these damages made to public utilities.
DSCN5461.jpg

Great pics, and pretty country. Looks like a crazy storm.

We had a windstorm a couple months back ago while I was at work. I was in the work truck when the gust front hit, and it literally exploded the passenger window into the truck cab. I had my new dslr out taking pics. I had just set it on the seat next to the window that blew right before it happened. The main lcd screen took a lot of damage :-( I got a couple cuts but was otherwise ok; no glass in my eye! I was next to a remote weather station (work on an airfield - there's a bunch at random locations) and the gust the broke the window registered 96 mph. Crazy!

That's wild! One of my mom's friends called and said that on the water it was actually 96 mph too! My girlfriend's living room window did the SAME thing, just shattered everywhere. Good thing you didn't take too much damage!

Back