What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP microscopy work

Here are a few attempts at examining some CPs under a confocal microscope. As firsts I can't complain though I wish I would have changed a few things now. The digestive gland at the very bottom of the first picture was deeper than the rest of the plane which resulted in the unfortunate large dark shadow at the bottom half of the page. However due to the nice deep red color of the gland the ones that did come out did so quite nicely.

Would attempt some TEM/SEM work with these but the time requirement to do so just isn't feasible. However I will be doing further confocal work and plan on doing Drosera stalked and sessile glands next week, any other suggestions are welcome! (Before anyone suggests pollen, I don't have any on hand sry)

Digestive glands of a VFT:
VFT%20secretion%20glands%20stack.jpg

Trigger hair base on VFT:
VFT%20Trigger%20hair%20stack.jpg

Not CP related but a nice shot FWIW, Mitochondria in mouse kidney tissue viewed using a TEM, cristae can be clearly distinguished.
TEM%20mitochondria.jpg

Enjoy!

Wow, nice! Keep up the great work :awesome:

Whoa, impressive! :0o:

My mouth doesnt normally hang open, but that last picture made it happen. Nice.

Thanks, glad to hear they're eye pleasing. That last one is the result of a few weeks worth of work, glad to see it went appreciated :-D

Those are fantastic photos; thanks for sharing!

What do TEM, SEM & confocal mean?

Someday I'm going to get a microscope. I wish I can afford a trifocal, or even a bifocal, but that ain't gonna happen unless I win the lottery. :crap:

Those are AMAZING!

I'm not sure about confocal, but SEM = scanning electron microscopy and TEM = transmission electron microscopy.

Those are fantastic photos; thanks for sharing!

What do TEM, SEM & confocal mean?

Thez nailed SEM and TEM on the head. Confocal just refers to the entire image being in focus. It takes multiple shots and overlays all of the 'in focus' shots over one another to produce an entire image in focus. All this done using wavelengths to excite and picking up the emissions. Otherwise known as phosphorescence.

Thez nailed SEM and TEM on the head. Confocal just refers to the entire image being in focus. It takes multiple shots and overlays all of the 'in focus' shots over one another to produce an entire image in focus. All this done using wavelengths to excite and picking up the emissions. Otherwise known as phosphorescence.

Hey what do you do for a job? Sounds interesting - I was in physics for too many years is why I know what SEM/TEM/AFM are :p

Does full time student count? :-))

For sure! Are you in some bio or something? It's really awesome that you get access to that sort of equipment and can use it for looking at VFTs and such because I don't think anyone is really researching these plants too much scientifically. I'm sure with those pics you've doubled the amount of knowledge we have :-))

Ya I'm working on my Master's degree in Bio. If I had the time I'd really like to do some SEM work with the same subjects in mind but this will have to do for now : /
I've found a few neat shots out there in the CP category but nothing confocal, this definitely has a 'pazzas' to it with the bright colors!

But like I said any idea as to what I should use as future subjects are welcome. Otherwise I'll stick to the sundew glands and maybe Nepenthes pitcher glands.

nice work. those are some legit shots!

Truly FANTASTIC photos!
I'd be interested in seeing the first cells of a sprout on a cutting of a VFT or dew perhaps.
Or some root pics where Trichoderma was used on a plant to examine any symbiosis happening....
Pica of the inner walls along a Nep or Sarr pitcher, to examine the differences or any "zones", where the plant absorbs nutrients compared to other "waxy" areas, etc.

Oh heck, more pics of any kind would be interesting!

Great job Yann!
:bigthumpup:

Those pictures are awesome, but the mitochondria is just breathtaking! Wow!

Thanks, I should have added the last picture (the TEM) was taken at a magnification of 35,000X. Will be attempting some 80,000X next week hopefully but obviously the pictures don't turn out as nice and crisp.

Good suggestion Paul. I'll post back here when and if those shots turn out.

There IS something I'd like to see.... The stalked glands of Mimulus gutatta, and the leaf surface.

You betchya you know what I'm looking for. ;)

Great links NaN, definitely more eye pleasing than mine lol Hopefully the next few shots will have significant techniques improvements :)

Sorry lilstinkpot, don't have any of those in my collection either. Stylidium debile flowers caught my eye this afternoon, I may check out the stigmas.

Back