What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liz Goes On An Adventure And Meets Friends! :awesome:

Lois-
Yeah, I *think* I know who you were, but I'm not positive...I had trouble remembering to pick up my camera and take pictures- I was just too excited meeting people and admiring stuff with my own eyes. I know there's alot I didn't get pictures of...sorry :blush:

Im going to start selling nep seedlings over there i think :p

hahhaa. i realized you took a picture of Berkeley not San Fran. we never went through San Fran.

It was great to meet you! Just an FYI the meetings (which is what we just had) tend to be on the small side. Not a lot of stuff for sale and small number of diehards come to the meeting. The June show and sale is where it's at. If anyone is going to make a BACPS event that is it. All the BACPS members bring in their best plants to be judged so you get to see a lot of great plants. Also the largest plant sale they have.

It's too bad the weather was so bad as the Berzerkly botanical gardens is very great place! I too believe the box is new. I have not seen it before. There was also another box by the CP and orchid greenhouse that I had never seen before.

If you had more time you could have hit up the East bay vivarium! Wife and I stopped by there after the meeting and picked up a new chameleon! They had some great ones I which I could have taken home with me.

I had originally planned to see the East Bay Viv, but Dory had other plans. ;) We did stop for lunch in Berkley, where we found a new favorite curry place. Mmmmm!

It was great to meet you! Just an FYI the meetings (which is what we just had) tend to be on the small side. Not a lot of stuff for sale and small number of diehards come to the meeting. The June show and sale is where it's at. If anyone is going to make a BACPS event that is it. All the BACPS members bring in their best plants to be judged so you get to see a lot of great plants. Also the largest plant sale they have.

It's too bad the weather was so bad as the Berzerkly botanical gardens is very great place! I too believe the box is new. I have not seen it before. There was also another box by the CP and orchid greenhouse that I had never seen before.

If you had more time you could have hit up the East bay vivarium! Wife and I stopped by there after the meeting and picked up a new chameleon! They had some great ones I which I could have taken home with me.

Darn it...next time I'm hanging with You :0o:

It was nice meeting you too :grin:
I don't mind small shows, there were great people so that's all that matters :) It was a good break-in for me- I dunno if I could've handled the big show first thing :p
Yeah, next time I wanna spend more time out there.

Ahahahahaha XD I know, right? I pretty much followed you so ya'll would've been like "Vivarium" and I would've been like *cling* TAKE ME TOOOOOOOOO

Hehehe...that is quite possible :p

It was wonderful meeting you! :hug: Your hugs are fantastic, btw!
Yeah, I hope someday, when I've got my own place and my plants aren't starving for light, I'll be able to bring everyone and have some epic house/garden party over here! Ah...dreams...sometimes they come true ;)

Awesome!
All expense paid, I assume? :p
I really want to go to a BACPS.
My mom says no, not till I pay for my own ticket... so hopefully 2 more years!

im gonna have to try and make it down to the big BACPS meeting next year...lol
lets see how the financial situation looks.

We could get a crew together and take the train... And the nice thing about trains is that we could bring plants back! (I guess you could on a plane or in the car too but somehow a train seems like the most hospitable for plant transit.)
~Joe

Expenses were paid, yes :p
What I did, was a day trip. I got there, went to the meeting, and went home. Airline tickets were $262- but upwards of 280 would be more likely.
Keep in mind the cost of food (airport food is EXPENSIVE. $10 for a regular sandwich, $3.00 for a small soda, etc), any plants you see that you want, the cost of driving to the airport (and getting back home), parking there, and tolls on the road.
Not to mention, if you're already going out there, I highly recommend getting a hotel and staying there for some time. There's alot to see and alot of people to meet- might as well take full advantage of it :grin: but if you're crunched for time like me (I have school) there's nothing wrong with a day trip- just make sure you have everything you need in a little bag, and get one of those neck pillows at Wal-Mart first, cause in the airport, they're like, $19. Ridiculous! Haha.

But it was fun getting to see everyone and I'm over my fear of flying and I just wanna go back for more!

@Seedjar: they have no problems with plants on the planes...you'll just want to keep them in a protective dome or hold them in your lap ;)

Yeah, but airlines are getting to be more and more of a pain, and you never know when some ******* is going to decide that the fluid in your pitchers violates the clear bottle and plastic baggies rule. Besides that, carry-on rules, lines... I was thinking more of checked luggage though (what a nightmare.) Trains are air-conditioned, relatively low-turbulence, you can port your own bags if you keep an eye out, and you can take a lot more luggage than you can on a plane. :D
~Joe

Expenses were paid, yes :p
What I did, was a day trip. I got there, went to the meeting, and went home. Airline tickets were $262- but upwards of 280 would be more likely.
Keep in mind the cost of food (airport food is EXPENSIVE. $10 for a regular sandwich, $3.00 for a small soda, etc), any plants you see that you want, the cost of driving to the airport (and getting back home), parking there, and tolls on the road.
Not to mention, if you're already going out there, I highly recommend getting a hotel and staying there for some time. There's alot to see and alot of people to meet- might as well take full advantage of it :grin: but if you're crunched for time like me (I have school) there's nothing wrong with a day trip- just make sure you have everything you need in a little bag, and get one of those neck pillows at Wal-Mart first, cause in the airport, they're like, $19. Ridiculous! Haha.

But it was fun getting to see everyone and I'm over my fear of flying and I just wanna go back for more!

@Seedjar: they have no problems with plants on the planes...you'll just want to keep them in a protective dome or hold them in your lap ;)

$10 for a sandwich?
I mean all expense paid for us, coming to your place ;)

Back