What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death's Ivy

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the back story..
Orville Miller lived from Sept. 24th 1840 to Oct. 31st 1895. He died on Holloween.. His headstone is covered in this green and red ivy all year long. But on Holloween night it all supposedly dies and falls off.. Being the skeptic that I am, I decided to do a little investigating.

IMG_1148.jpg

Pic taken on Oct. 30th 2010

IMG_1145.jpg

Pic taken the next day on Oct. 31st 2010

IMG_1193.jpg

Looks like all the leaves on the nearby trees fell that night, too. And were raked quite neatly. ;D
~Joe

Hey, in the second pic near the upper-left-hand side of the tombstone, above the leaf that sticks out, it kind of looks like the guy from Scream:
scream.jpg

And when we zoom and enhance...
scream2.jpg

He's giving us the peace sign!?
~Joe

Last edited:
Looks like all the leaves on the nearby trees fell that night, too. And were raked quite neatly. ;D
~Joe

Indeed.. we had some really heavy winds that night. The leaves weren't raked though, they were mowed. All the leaves were mowed back from all the headstones.
Good eye.. You should work for the city raking leaves with skills like that.

The ivy probably isn't dead, its dormant, the leaves falling off is probably due to the frost.

That is intense. It looks like someone sprayed raid on the leaves. But I'd also like to believe that it's the spiritual reality of it all

That's freaky!
But, I would suggest next year, staying up all night and watching the ivy :p
What IS that thing that, as seedjar pointed out, looks like scream?

Indeed.. we had some really heavy winds that night.
And quite cold, as well, to yellow the still-green low-lying leaves in the background. I'm just a little dubious - as a fellow skeptic, you can appreciate, right? Even if these are back-to-back pics, it could merely be the result of the windstorm. I'll be curious to hear what happens next year.
What IS that thing that, as seedjar pointed out, looks like scream?
My money is on the specter of Michael Jackson.
~Joe

I'll do it again next year with a time stamp on the pics. I understand being skeptical. I had to see it to believe it. But trust me, I could care less about creating this thread wrapped in a lie. I saw it, photographed it, and shared it. Look forward to a follow up next year. Oh, and we got our first frost on Monday. So how would we explain the death of the ivy every holloween evey year? I totally believe in the spiritual side of it. I'm an avid Ghost Adventures watcher, I love this stuff

Alas,
a real mystery for some here it seems....
but as was so perceptively pointed out already,
what mysterious spiritual force made all the leaves fall from the trees at the exact same time???

Ghostly forces or frost and cold temps?
Indeed the forces behind the dropping of leaves in fall is in question here! :scratch: Ohhh, big mystery here!
Better be careful! Remember, Santa Claus is watching too!

Amazing! :lac:

Me thinks someone killed off a few too many gray cells with ethanol or other substances perhaps! :-))

Oh yea, I have used Round-up vegetation killer to kill off weeds and vines over-night too. Problem is that they are very hardy, so the weeds/vines keep coming back!
Might want to bring some with next year to add even more realism!
Boooo!!!

Last edited:
:oops:

METHINKS SOME PEOPLE SHOULD BE PUT ON A ROCKETSHIP AND SENT TO THE SUN FOR IMPLYING SUCH THINGS ABOUT THOSE THAT BELIEVE IN PARANORMAL STUFFS. :cuss:

AND. SANTA CLAUS IS WATCHING! WHO ELSE PUTS THOSE PRESENTS UNDER THE TREE?!

The real myth here is Round-Up working to any extent ;P

Last edited:

Now.. considering my grandparents passed this story down to us from when they were kids, I highly doubt it's just coincedence, frost, or some stupid chemical that makes the ivy die back every Holloween night. To the day..? Come on.. I don't beleive anything just happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethanol is plain old grain alcohol, not the non-ingestible kind. I realize you two have your differences, and I won't condone a low blow, but I think you might be taking that comment out of proportion. (Even if he was trying to get under your skin, you'd be best served just to shrug it off.) Jabs aside, the criticism of your story as told is pretty much spot on with what many of us are wondering.
It doesn't help your position to get bellicose and defensive.
You say your grandparents passed this story down, but that's not evidence; it's heresy. There are countless examples of total BS stories handed down for generations. Do you really believe the Anasazi tribe was founded by a magical anthropomorphic spider? Or that the earth's spin reversed during brief cataclysms as some biblical stories claim? Or that giant, flying feathered serpents issued holy decrees to the Aztecs? All are traditional tales long conveyed through oral traditions. As far as I can tell, this is the first time you've documented leaves falling on Halloween, which invites speculation that this is purely coincidence and you just happened to pick a year to investigate when a storm came through at the right time to make it happen. I would be much more intrigued if the leaves fell only from the headstone, and not from any surrounding vegetation. As it stands there are a multitude of mundane circumstances to explain what you've observed. Occam's Razor...
~Joe

I don't believe in fairy tales, myths, or anything along those lines. But I do believe in my grandfather.. even more so now that he's gone. We were really close, and I don't think this is something he'd fill my head with for kicks and giggles. I feel its something peculiar, unexplainable to him, and therefore it's been passed on as something special between grandfather and grandson. Moonshine was never passed around during the campfire stories.. so spare me the technicalities on it's chemical base. I just don't care, and I feel my self defense was justified. Nothing against you, but I wouldn't stick up for him if I were you.

MODS ~ please close my thread. We can start a new one next October. Bet your butt.. I'm just as curious as the rest of you.

I'm not standing up for anybody - I'm trying to offer some constructive criticism to you, because you don't seem to be aware that your belligerent responses only invite further criticism, doubt and dismissal of your opinions. I think you have a lot of interesting things to share here and I've typically enjoyed talking with you in the past but I can't help notice that any time someone dares to disagree with or question you, you lose your cool. And frankly, I don't like the tone that brings to the forums.
I'm not saying that others aren't at fault. At the end of the day, though, you're responsible for your own actions before anyone else. I think you have the power to elicit a different type of reaction from people, if you choose to act on it.
Also, please do not threaten me. Even vague and veiled, that's uncalled for. Honestly I'm baffled as to why you would feel the need to do such a thing. I apologize if my posts strike you as antagonistic, but I've done nothing to harm you, and I replied only in good humor. I actually feel I've repeatedly tried to extend an olive branch in these types of situations for the sake having a constructive community here, but you seem more interested in perceived slights, and it's wearing on me.
~Joe

I never threatened you in any way shape or form. I even said,"nothing against you, but.." insinuating I have no qualms with you or anything you said. Just trying to convey my point is all. As far as I'm concerned we're cool. I'm sorry if you thought I was being threatening when I said,"..if I were you." That's not how I meant it.
And I must say.. I only blow up when someone directly insults me as a person. I could care less if people disagree with me. So what, who cares.. To each thier own. But when someone makes comments about me being a... burnout, be prepared for me defending myself. I've never been one to let people walk all over me. If that means I have a bad attitude, then my response to you is.. yeah, okay, whatever.
Please don't respond to this. Let it just be a dead issue until next year. Done and done..

Last edited by a moderator:
Closed by request...

As a side note, if people have ignore lists, follow through and actually ignore them instead of flare-ups like this. I know, a novel idea...

Oh, and the only list that really matters is the one Santa has that says who is naughty and who is nice, so there.

Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back