What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

had a bit of a scare yesterday......

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
7 weeks after back surgery i finally got the all clear to go hunting provided someone was along to drag the critter to the truck.....we were out in the hills cussing that most the speed goats have already dropped their horns when i discover i had no breaks.....well i did have them somewhat but not enough to help on the downside of a steep hill with a heck of a washout ahead.....dropped it into 1 and let the transmission slow me down.....darn near had to surgically remove the seat from my rear on that one.....high pucker factor.....break booster went out on the truck.....

we limped to the cabin and this morning i made the 80 mile run home to drop it off at the garage and get the Yukon.....waiting on my oldest girl to get out of school in about 3 hours and we will head back up, her after a mule deer buck, me still looking for a goat that still has his horns.....

Wow, I'm glad everything is OK. Safety first!
~Joe

im just glad ive got experiance in vehicles with no power breaks or breaks that are shot......in the split second when i realized what was wrong, instinct/muscle memory kicked in and did what needed to be done automatically....really happy it didnt happen last weekend while we were in Deadwood SD as we took the Yukon and left the oldest girl the truck to get to school and work and to my parents place....that coulda been really bad.....

She's driving age already?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was driving back to town from the boonies in my 20-year-old Honda rattletrap when one of my brake cylinders flew apart. I heard a weird ping from the undercarriage and it only took me a split-second to realize I'd lost a bolt in the wheel well. Fortunately there wasn't anybody else on the windy little road I was on, as it probably would've meant a 40-foot drop into trees and rocky coastline.
~Joe

she will be 16 in a couple months got her first year license bout a month ago.....

I've always wondered if the breaks go out does it work to pull the emergency/parking brake or not?

yep, well most the time provided your rear breaks havent totally failed....its easier if its a hand break though, the foot ones are harder to use with finesse :D the e-brake is mechanical, your regular breaks are hydraulic.....thats why its called a e-brake, you can use it when the brake lines fail.....

Back