What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening - "Why Bother?"

• Thread starter Kyle
  • Start date
I thought a few people around here might enjoy a little read like this. The topic is gardening (not CPs, you addicts! Vegetables!).

www.rftw.me/wb

Actually, I never really thought of the garden thing as a CO2 reduction method, considering most people don't actually grow that much... But I didn't know the "ten calories of fossil fuel for every calorie of food" thing.

Besides that, the thing that everyone can do (I'm sure a lot of people won't like this) to massively reduce harm to the planet for multiple ways (not just CO2 emissions) is just eating less beef. While I'm sure most of you have heard about it, it really is a big issue. Considering beef requires 10-20 times as many resources to grow an equivalent amount of vegetables, that's a freakishly huge waste, especially since the primary foods, corn and soybeans, are usually grown on rainforest land (which depletes of nutrients and is then discarded). I'm not saying we should all become vegans, but if everyone cuts back just a little bit that would be far, far more than many of the things we all hear we should change. Note this doesn't apply nearly as much to pure grass fed cattle (in some cases this may actually be better to not eating beef at all.)

And remember, the biggest carbon sinks are the ocean and the rainforests. They take in far more than we put out... and the real problem is that we're destroying them. The average square km of the amazon rainforest can contain 90,000 TONS of biomass. And at over 20,000 square km destroyed annually with 70% of that for growing cattle food... Yeah, that's a lot.

Not an Eco nut, so don't take it that way... but this really is something that everyone can do and make a big difference.

Happy growing!

Unfortunatally, the garden will be carbon postitive due to the amount of petro chemicals used on the plants.

Back