What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Deathcubes spotted in the wild (Lowes, Black Friday)

Not sure if this is a new one or not. Didn't have a chance to pick one up, but will if I swing back around there.

It's our old friend the Deathcube -- same anonymous company, same logo, same everything. However, instead of being a single plant in a square pot, it's a package of LFS, a package of filtered peat moss, a square plastic pot, and two plants -- a "dormant venus flytrap" and a "dormant pitcher plant". The label doubles as a care sheet, which I couldn't read. $9.99.

I'll try to pick it up later today and then get some pictures.

Death cubes are EVIL!!!

imgres

THE IMAGES STILL HAUNTS MY MIND!!! :puke2:

I would be careful of buying one-it's been around for a while(I think July?)
It's probably just a deaf VFT and Purp. No plant would be dormant during the summer, as they imply when it is purchased in July.

Old news.. they've had them all year long out here.

I don't see why we bother with Death Cubes unless they have a rare plant (which is very unlikely). More often than not, they have common CPs on the verge of death. Why would anyone want to pay $10 for a sick VFT typical when we can go online and buy premium grown CPs for a better price?

On a whim,
I just picked up a Cobra (Lily) the other day in one...!
Figured I hadn't seen one around in a while, so why not.
Not dirt cheap perhaps, and not in the best of conditions (like when I used to occasionally order these years back for cheap), but it did save me a ton on shipping, and I figured it would do better than seed. (Although I did want to try them from seed, but decided it best to just give it a try.)

It filled the large size cube of torture so it was a decent size, and I figured I was possibly lengthening its life a bit, and giving it a small chance to survive at least. In the past, there have been times that the death-cubes have had rather large and nice VFT's and Cobra's, so I always look even though I don't expect to see much of any value. It is a nice surprise when you actually see a plant worth getting! :-O

Indeed, when buying any CP or other plant or animal (for a pet), one must use their better judgement to decide if it is worth getting or not. Not every cube of death contains the skeletons of a once beautiful CP! But that is why the news was spread by mcantrell I think, in order to give the alert that possibly a new shipment was sent out. (They do get them in a few times a year usually, and getting there when the shipment first arrives can mean the difference between a decent plant and a dried out wad of organic matter.)

While much of what I saw available resembled a sad experience waiting to happen... (I saw the ones with the "dormant" VFT's and S.Purps, and they looked like a waste of money, but then in all fairness... I didn't bust open the package to examine the bulb/rhizome to see if they were indeed alive and viable.)
Thanks mcantrell, for at least trying to share some good news. It is appreciated. :beer:

:water:

(Sometimes what is labeled as dormant, is a VFT "bulb" trimmed of its roots and leaves, and a Sarr. trimmed of its leaves and some roots... sometimes even put into refrigeration to extend storage with the hopes of inducing an artificial dormancy that can be "broken" when the items are planted and watered and put in the sun. Nurseries and growers/distributors have used these sorts of methods with all kinds of plants for years and years.)

These are all over the place once again!

The Cobra Lily deathcubes are tempting, although I've heard the variant used in the deathcubes is not one that lends itself to long term growth. (i.e., they die after about a month or 6.)

I've been told that one of the reasons they're so big (on occasion, anyway) is they use tissue culture and nutrient-shock them before sending them out, so that the low lights in the stores cause them to grow really big in a desperate attempt to get more light. I've had some of my pitcher plants do that on occasion in bad growing locations.

Last edited:
It's only really worthwhile to buy deathcubes when they're on clearance. it's not worth it to buy a $10 dying vft, but a mildly worse off vft for $1.25 is tempting. Also if they have something you don't and you don't want to pay shipping on a site for one thing, but that doesn't happen often.

I got a purple pitcher plant a while back had mites, got it for 50 cents, sprayed with insecticide n now its good as new, Also got a nepenthes, Not sure what kind it was looking sickly so they gave it to me for a dollar.Its still small but its got like hairs on the lid, not sure if its because its still young but not big enough to identify.

Back