What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr/ Dionea dormancy

I just bought a Sarracenia purpurea and a venus flytrap from lowes. It was a new shipment. I am wondering if it would be ok to replant them before going into dormancy? I would like to get them out of their little pots

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think that would be fine. Lots of people start to replant and such when they are going dormant or are dormant.

ok thanks

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

well now im hearin that its too late to put them outside cuz itll put them in shock. i live in spartanburg sc. is this true or will they be fine outside??

South Carolina?
you are GOLDEN! :)
you are lucky to live in the golden zone for growing VFT's and Sarracenia..
put them outside now..leave them outside 24/7/365 and they will do great.

Scot

I wouldn't repot them now..
because there is no good reason or need for it..
(did you put them outside?)
they should be going dormant now, and should be allowed to remain that way, undisturbed, until spring..
I think its best to just leave them alone this time of year..
repotting now could be an unnecessary shock, right when they are trying to go to sleep in the winter.

If you knew they were FULLY dormant, it would be fine to repot..(people often bare-root plants for winter dormancy, which is essentially the same thing as repotting..but the trick is that the plants are already fully dormant when they are uprooted..)

your plants, being recently from Lowes, are *not* fully dormant yet..but if you have had them outside since you got them (which is where they should be! ;)
they will be in the process of *going* dormant right now..and going dormant is not a quick process..it's a gradual process that takes weeks/months..
I think it would be best to just leave them alone, they are just getting adapted to their new home.

repotting is always best done in the early spring, right before new growth resumes..then they have a full growing season to adjust.
In your climate, I would repot them in mid or late February, which (as I have heard) is early spring in South Carolina.

Scot

Back