What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I vote for...

... replacing the chat on the homepage with an IRC chat.

• It's faster
  • It's more responsive
  • It doesn't freeze every so often
  • You can use a dedicated IRC client to chat, making the overall chat experience at least a little more enjoyable but leaving the option to use the built-in JAVA chat
  • It takes (a little) load off the server
  • ... I can use IRC on my phone, thus enabling me to pay no attention in class and, instead, chat with all the cool peepz up in here

Anyone else? ^.^

I don't have freezing problems, it's as fast as it's set to be, and it works on my phone. lol It also wouldn't use your TF to login (so it'd be different names) or have moderation/customization abilities here.
No thanks.
Andrew

BTW- thank you members have a faster refresh in the chat. :X Regular users are 20 seconds and thank you members get a refresh rate of 15 seconds.

Last edited:
I don't have freezing problems, it's as fast as it's set to be, and it works on my phone. lol It also wouldn't use your TF to login (so it'd be different names) or have moderation/customization abilities here.
No thanks.
Andrew

BTW- thank you members have a faster refresh in the chat. :X Regular users are 20 seconds and thank you members get a refresh rate of 15 seconds.

:jester::bigthumpup:

jerk. :lol:

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to get rid of the one on the homepage and use an IRC channel instead. I meant to use the IRC plugin for vBulletin. That puts a very similar panel at the top for people to chat in, which allows for at least the same moderation capabilities and while I've never used the chat function built into vB, I can't imagine it's more customizable than the decades-old IRC. You could even keep your beneficial reload differentiation for Thank You members. ^.^

It was just a thought. Obviously, the decision is yours, Andrew, and if you don't like the idea, no biggy. Guess it just gives me more reason to keep an eye out for a plant I want from FTS. XD

No thanks.
Andrew

+1 !

I like terraforums just as it is. It's addicting enough already. :)

This chatbox is arguably the most popular shoutbox for VB. If you have a particular hack that you think may be of great use to us here, please PM me that information privately. I have a test TF set up where I have tried many different forum softwares (before choosing VB) and also test all hacks to decide which I like. When I started using this shoutbox (was the second of 8 I tested) I pretty much knew it was the one. And anyone that has been using it since the start knows it has only gotten better over time. So anyway, as I said- please PM me if you think you have a better hack than I use, or one that TF can't live without and I'll check them out as time allows. But starting a post and trying to get members behind you really isn't going to make me change anything... It's better to try and work with me behind the scenes (plenty of people do and often become testers with me on the other forum). :-D
Thanks,
Andrew

Now... ban 'em good, Andy! ;)

:0o:
What phone do you have that has the TF chatbox work flawlessly?

I wanna be a test <s>subject</s> assistant!

TF is still a little sticky on my iPhone, and it's lead to multiple browser crashes. But I just jump right back on, LoL! The chat, OTOH.... Just. Won't. Work. I can only see the top of the chat in the box, the oldest posts, and I can't scroll. I can post, but I can't see what everyone's saying to reply to. I have a fix, though. It's a real kludge: I have the archives open on another page, and I refresh every minute. :p

I think it can work with most of the recent smart phones. iPhone, Android, Blackberry ect. And if it doesn't out of the box you can probably download a different browser/app to make it work.

That being said, if you have an Android phone the Opera browser (or Opera Mini browser) works great for TF chat. It's available in the droid app store for free.

Ok seriously people!

Who cares if a chat program, on an internet forum, about carnivorous plants, doesn't work on your cell phone?

I mean really.... is this what we've come to? That we must be able to check the updates of a forum while we're on the go?

Put things in perspective.... Take a step back.

I love Terraforums... but I definitely don't mind going a day or two without it.

I don't know if it's flawless.. I just know I checked it back when I got this phone (Droid) and it worked unlike my LG Dare before it. And that was quite some time ago. :p If it doesn't work, that's because it doesn't use java.
Andrew

Ok seriously people!

Who cares if a chat program, on an internet forum, about carnivorous plants, doesn't work on your cell phone?

I mean really.... is this what we've come to? That we must be able to check the updates of a forum while we're on the go?

Not just a forum, a CP forum! I am ADDICTED to CPS and want to check often. There could always be a trade that you really want what is offered and have what they are asking for in return, but if you don't check within a day someone else may already have gotten it.
Just my POV... I don't really mind about the chat, though.

WOW , im glad i dont have a cell phone. so many ppl have became so addicted to there phones they dont know what tto do without it. Where i work for instance we get no service for most of the pppl from the city who use anything other than verizon and they get so pissed. Andrew this sites great.....free......and the most addicting thing sence carnivorous plants. that being said thank you.

Hey, who ever said anything about being <i>addicted</I> or <i>"lost without it"</i>?!? There have been times, waiting at the doctors office for example, when I want to chat. Is that illegal?

Who cares if the chat doesn't work? Me! When I'm out by myself, and I'm bored silly, it's my choice on how I entertain myself. Sometimes people around me DON'T want to hear a harmonica, or listen to me yammer away about sailing, snuggling with bearded dragons, or, heaven forbid, carnivorous plants. :p. I am not online 24-7. I simply made a statement about something I discovered while trying to chat duri g one of those "bored silly" moments.

Don't be so harsh, it'll give you wrinkles! ;)

Don't be so harsh, it'll give you wrinkles! ;)

hahahahaha

tp-wrinkle-dog.jpg

I know the whole phone compatible thing has been asked to the coder... and his response was "Give me an Iphone or another smart phone and I'll be happy to work on it." That said, he also mentioned yesterday to all of us that have it that he and his girl broke up a few months ago and so they've been dealing with splitting everything up-etc. I'm not sure what his plans are for the next version, but it seems he'll be starting on it soon.

Andrew

Exactly what Katie said :-D
I have an hour break between each of my classes, and during which time all my friends (I only have 3 ;P) are in their classes. I guess I could do something constructive like read a book...but I'd rather feed my addiction to CPs!
Or those rides to the restaurant with the family *gags*
I'm certainly not sneaking onto the forum at work, or AT dinner, or in the movies, or at redlights :p
And as for my phone itself....more than half the time I don't even know where it is. I'm certainly not addicted to it, itself.

Ah, I'm sorry for the coder, but it's not a huge deal, just if it's possible, I wanna know about it, LOL. I have to do what Katie does (refreshing the archives and responding then). I'm certainly quite happy and love the forum as it is though :-D

Wow, this took a drastic turn, LOL. Maybe got a little blown out of proportion along the way. Just for the record, I wasn't trying to "get members behind [me]," I was just looking to see if anyone else shared my preference. This wasn't intended to be some TerraForums Chat Revolution, LOL.

That said, yes, some of us are addicted to the hobby. Myself, I was up at 4am last night (Friday night) as a young male in a college, partying town. I was in my plant room repotting some plants. Sad? Perhaps, but I had fun doing it! For me, personally, carnivores are my number 1 hobby. It's what I do the most with my free time. If I like to check up on the forums and/or chat between classes or when otherwise wasting time, so be it! That was the main reason I proposed the IRC thing. Not really to make any difference in the site (because, aesthetically speaking, it wouldn't), just for the option of having an IRC client on my phone to chat it up. And the reason I like the idea of IRC over the JAVA one is because of just that. You could have a dedicated app on your phone -just- for IRC, no finagling around with your browser, figuring out how to to make it work with various workarounds (the refreshing the archives thing). But it's obviously not that big a deal.

I do know, however, that there are various software that can be installed on the boards and then a client on a cell phone to give you a much better mobile forum experience, but that is, again, totally up to Andy. And I have no experience with those, so I have no idea how well they work, though they do typically get pretty good reviews. These little addon/app combos, as far as I know, do not address any JAVA chat sort of thing, just the discussion boards themselves. I'm not advocating the use of such software, just stating that it is a possibility. I don't know, though, my phone's browser tends to handle the forums pretty well on its own, though I know different phones and different mobile OSs have varying degrees of success with forums. The chat I can say doesn't work at all, even connected to a WiFi network. That's just the standard browser, though, haven't bothered to try any other ones. They may or may not work better. In fact, I'm going to test some out and I'll get back with my results, in case anyone is interested.

Andy, question for you: What is the name of the chat application? Just so I can look into what people do and do not have success with as a mobile option for it.

Back