What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looks like i get to see a new part of the country....

some of the members here that have been around awhile know ive got problems with my knees, have had 3 surgeries between the two aswell as a dozen large needles jammed in to deposit meds.....basically i lack the notch in my femur where the knee cap is supposed to ride and my knee cap just goes where ever it feels like and has destroyed most the cartilage in my knees.....have been taking opiate pain meds for them since i was 18, daily for bout half that time....the knee issues is what lead to me bulging a disk in my back and having surgery to fix it back in Sept......basically im 29 and am close to having bone on bone in my right knee have a lil more in the left and am a walking barometer more sensitive than anything NOAA has....

have had two "local" knee docs tell me there is nothing to do short of total knee replacement and i should wait as long as possible before doing that, ideally another 26 years, not likely gonna happen.....first week of January i head over to see the sports medicine department at the University of Washington Hospital in Seattle for a third opinion.....have read enough that im bout willing to bet $100 they are gonna tell me the same thing the other two have but would like to hear it again before proceeding with the next step....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it's come to this. But while you're here, maybe you'd have time to meet up? Let me know if you've got time to kill - I'll be up in Seattle around the 10th myself.
~Joe

ill be there from the night of the 5th through the morning of the 9th provided i dont have to hang around longer.....have no clue what my schedule is gonna look like at this point.....

rattler - while you are here, maybe we could meet up as well...i know its not on the best of terms that you are up here in these parts, but maybe you, joel, and myself could get together for a cup of coffee or something, and take a trip out to my friends GH if youve got free time while your here....

its possible.....will figure out from the wife which hotel we are staying at tomorrow and see how feasible it would be......i see the docs first Thursday afternoon but have no clue whats gonna be involved....might be a talk session and nothing else, might have tests that get scheduled for Thurs or Friday or who knows what else.....could wind up with nearly no free time or lots and i honestly wont know till Thursday afternoon....hoping on some free time, plane tickets are costing me the better part of a grand alone, so im hoping i have time to check some stuff out atleast.....

well man, if you have time, coffee and lunch is on me. would be nice to get out to seattle rather than being stuck out here in puyallup all the time haha

Well, good luck. I went to grad school at the U Dub. It's a beautiful campus. You're way too early for the cherry trees to blossom unfortunately. My cousin has a wing named after her at the Med Center. She started out in sport medicine as I recall but moved over to neurology. Hard to keep up with everybody.

Maybe you could visit a couple of the CP nurseries up there before surgery.

mind pm'ing me the decent shops that carry them?

rattler - i know two in the near seattle area...if you have time before surgery, i can take you to em since i need to swing by em anyway :p ill PM you details

as for the days your here, i have the 5th, 7th, and 9th off...slowest work week for me, yet haha.
Hope your stay goes well up here and they should be great at UW...Mom has been there for her back problems, and they did amazing.

at this point i have no idea of my schedule, the docs couldnt even tell me when to buy a return plane ticket for......could be done at the hospital in a day, could be there 2 weeks.....at this point im not planning to be cut on while im there, got the appointment with such short notice that i dont have the time set aside at work for me to heal up....

I have known a few people who have had total knee replacement (both at once)
and they have all had good success/results. 2 of them said they would have had it done years ago had they known it would work so well.
These are mostly people in their late 60's and 70's, and the only hard part for them was therapy/recover afterwards. It is rough to go thru, but if a 70+ y.o. can do it, most anyone should make it thru.
For them it really added to giving them back their ability, and they all commented on that.

Good luck with whatever you do, and I hope you get some long awaited relief.

been told by 2 ortho's that its not if i get artificial knees but when......problem is im 29 and have been told i will destroy an artificial joint in 10-15 years due to the fact im much more active than someone 50 plus and the success rate for a second one being put in is only around 33%....in other words at this point if i get an artificial joint put in ive got a 66% chance of being an amputee before im 50.....

in Seattle.....couple observations.....

#1 i though Minneapolis traffic sucked....i will happily pay a cab driver to drive me around.....aint no way in hell im driving here.....

#2 who has a 9.3% sales tax?........dang near had a heart attack at the Best Buy cash register......this is just wrong.......

#3 i love fresh halibut............

thats all for now, first doc appointment tomorrow at 2:30.....not sure what im gonna do in the morning.....

You don't wanna drive in Minneapolis or Seattle?

Minneapolis is fun, you never know when the guy in front of you is gonna slam on the brakes, jump out of his car and have a hug-fest with someone on the sidewalk he hasn't seen since they both fled Mogadishu! LOL

ive driven in Minneapolis a half dozen times.....it sucks but i have no problem doing it......

ill do 65 down a gravel road but i dont like this......there are what 3 times as many ppl in the Seattle metro area than my entire state? didnt mind driving in Orlando or St. Louis but i aint driving here, im used to dodging deer not this many vehicles.....

When one of my mags writers and I took a road trip to Chicago for the Expo of the Extreme I told him it was a damn good thing he was driving cos I'd have killed us both! LOL

lol welcome to seattle man, i hate driving in it too...
Yeah, it gets worse than 9.3% in different parts of the state, friend of mine's city is at 9.5% lol...
its pretty bad here.

think thats bad, im glad i dont smoke anymore, because 9.30$ a pack is ridiculous.

I wouldn't complain too much about sales tax. It's 9.75% in my neck of the woods and as high as 10.75% in some cities/counties of California. Chicago has the nations highest with 11.50%. Voters in California voted for higher sales tax.

When I moved to Seattle in 1979 the sales tax was higher than in Los Angeles. Plus you had to pay sales tax on magazines which you didn't at the time in California.

Seattle has one of the best mass transit systems in the nation which accounts for some of the taxes.

when your used to 0% at home and 5% in NoDak its a bit of a shock.........

Back